Tyre sealers

Old June 1st 04, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Red Osprey

Default Tyre sealers

At the Newbury motorhome show recently I was given a flyer from a
company called "Protex" who quoted me to have the tyres of my motor
home puncture protected by injecting a liquid sealant.

The idea quite appeals as I don't fancy the idea of a high speed
puncture in a motorhome.

Has anybody got any experience (good or bad) of either this company or
any similar applications?

Thanks.
Red Osprey

(Remove pants before emailing)
Old June 1st 04, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy R

"Red Osprey" wrote in message
At the Newbury motorhome show recently I was given a flyer from a
company called "Protex" who quoted me to have the tyres of my motor
home puncture protected by injecting a liquid sealant.

The idea quite appeals as I don't fancy the idea of a high speed
puncture in a motorhome.

Has anybody got any experience (good or bad) of either this company or
any similar applications?

Personally I wouldn't touch it for various reasons.

1. It increases the unsprung weight if the vehicle
2. It must affect heat dissipation
3. You may get a puncture that's a bit bigger then this stuff's designed to
cope with and it may seal it until you get a bit of speed up then fail
catastrophically.
4. It's impossible to repair an ordinary puncture by conventional means
once the inside of the tyre is covered in this goo.

Keep an aerosol of the stuff designed to fix punctures and use it in an
emergency til you can get a new tyre but otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Remember, the roads are full of vans built on the same base vehicle as
yours, often poorly maintained with wrong tyre pressures, remoulded tyres
and banged up and down kerbs by indifferent drivers and yet still it's
extremely rare to hear of an accident caused by a high speed blow out. Most
punctures are a slow deflation which you will notice and deal with.

Just look after your tyres, buy decent ones, check the pressures regularly
and you've got a very good chance that nothing will ever go wrong with them.
If you're still desperately worried look at Tyron bands but if you get a
puncture you'll need a tyre fitter who knows how to deal with them properly
and that could be difficult around Europe or wherever.

Rgds

Andy R

Old June 1st 04, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Red Osprey

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 15:48:10 +0100, "Andy R"
wrote:

"Red Osprey" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks for the advice Andy. You make some very interesting points
there. Particularly, I didn't know (although I guess it's obvious)
that you couldn't repair a puncture conventionally once this stuff has
been installed.

I think I'll keep my pennies in my pocket!

Thanks again,

Old June 2nd 04, 06:49 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Bry Yeovil

At the Newbury motorhome show recently I was given a flyer from a
company called "Protex" who quoted me to have the tyres of my motor
home puncture protected by injecting a liquid sealant.

The idea quite appeals as I don't fancy the idea of a high speed
puncture in a motorhome.

Has anybody got any experience (good or bad) of either this company or
any similar applications?

Thanks.

Although I have not used it on motorhome tyres,I have been using similar
products on motorcycle tyres for a number of years, without any problems, but
neither have I had a puncture to fully test it either.
The common ones used on bikes are Ultrseal, Goop, Oko and Slime. The claims
are, tested up to 160mph and will instantly seal holes up to 6mm.

ASFAIK Protec or Protex states that you need to keep below 50mph for about 5
miles until the tyres warm up. Maybe ok for a motorhome, but not for a bike.

Regards
Bryan