Anyone driven through Albania recently?

Old June 7th 04, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Bert

Default Anyone driven through Albania recently?

I'm driving to Croatia in a month and wondered if anyone had driven down
through Albania to Greece in the last couple of years. Just considering it
and wondered about safety, security etc?

Old June 7th 04, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
g.caffrey5

Hang on while i buy a few thousand shares in Kevlar.

Maybe you should watch an old Clint Eastwood film called 'The Gauntlet'.
Especially the last ten minutes before you set off fella.

Gary

Old June 7th 04, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
g.caffrey5

Actually i take that back..............its a ghost town...........must
be............ they are all here.

Gary
news:[email protected]

Old June 7th 04, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
riccip

Tone wrote:

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 16:35:53 +0100, "Bert" wrote:

I'm driving to Croatia in a month and wondered if anyone had driven down
through Albania to Greece in the last couple of years. Just considering it
and wondered about safety, security etc?

You could buy yourself an AK47 on the way in !!

ROFL!!
The Foreign Office advises: "Albanian driving can often be
aggressive and erratic. Minor traffic disputes can quickly
escalate, especially as some motorists are likely to be armed."

Kinda puts a new slant on road-rage huh?

Before entering Northern Albania there's a few more
considerations. Unexploded ordnance, Islamic terrorists and
potholes the size of swimming pools to name but a few. Apart from
Typhoid, Hepatitis and Rabies you must even avoid SHRUBS AND
BUSHES or risk "tick borne encephalitis"...!! Jeez.

Full info from the FO can be found he http://tinyurl.com/2yz5h

riccip
Old June 7th 04, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
riccip

"g.caffrey5" wrote:

Actually i take that back..............its a ghost town...........must
be............ they are all here.

Along with the rest of the third world. The only entry
requirement to Britain is the lack of a pot to **** in.

riccip
Old June 7th 04, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
g.caffrey5

"riccip" wrote in message
"g.caffrey5" wrote:

Actually i take that back..............its a ghost town...........must
be............ they are all here.

Along with the rest of the third world. The only entry
requirement to Britain is the lack of a pot to **** in.

riccip

Thats coz they can **** wherever they like here.

No cassette ****ter needed.
Gary

Old June 8th 04, 01:51 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Bert

Hehehe

You guys are really too paranoid. You dont believe everything the Govt tell
ya do ya?

They're just scared you bugger of somewhere nice and dont come back and they
lose your taxes.

snip
The Foreign Office advises: "Albanian driving can often be
aggressive and erratic. Minor traffic disputes can quickly
escalate, especially as some motorists are likely to be armed."
/snip

They make it sound like driving in Napoli or Lisboa

Before entering Northern Albania there's a few more
considerations. Unexploded ordnance, Islamic terrorists and
potholes the size of swimming pools to name but a few. Apart from
Typhoid, Hepatitis and Rabies you must even avoid SHRUBS AND
BUSHES or risk "tick borne encephalitis"...!!
/

Defo NO craters and UXB on Albanian highways or Coast. The rest of your
considerations apply anywhere in Euroland. Anyhow wasnt neccessary plannin
stopping just drive the 300 miles right through from Dubrobnik to Greece in
7 or 8 hours max.

Viva le Internet!
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?q=....7%5D &rnum=1

Bert

Old June 8th 04, 02:15 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
g.caffrey5

"Bert" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?q=...=UTF-8&selm=v0
2140b06add5b57987a1%40%5B129.127.118.7%5D&rnum=1

Bert

In thats case is your Van N2O ready.

Gary

Old June 8th 04, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
riccip

"Bert" wrote:

You guys are really too paranoid. You dont believe everything the Govt tell
ya do ya?

snip

If you think the UK FO warnings were bad then take a look at
this: http://travel.state.gov/albania.html

Defo NO craters and UXB on Albanian highways or Coast. The rest of your
considerations apply anywhere in Euroland. Anyhow wasnt neccessary plannin
stopping just drive the 300 miles right through from Dubrobnik to Greece in
7 or 8 hours max.

Viva le Internet!

Sorry Bert, I don't agree. The bloke in your article took a short
holiday in the safer areas of "central and southern Albania" NINE
YEARS AGO, when Saudi Arabia was being promoted as the new
holiday venue.

There's really no comparison with Portuguese driving conditions.
Up to 1990 no one in Albania was allowed a car. Then when the
commie regime collapsed it became flooded with cars overnight. No
driving tests, no insurance, no road safety, not even a proper
system in place. In Muslim countries the law of the road
generally dictates that if someone hits you then being a
foreigner the accident is automatically YOUR fault because it
would not have happened if you'd not been there. Go figure.

Shkoder is considered very dangerous being controlled by armed
criminal gangs along with the coastal Vlore area. Your route will
take you straight through the middle of them. If you think it's
worth the risk go ahead, chances are you'll be okay. However you
should clear it with your insurance first. At least you won't be
hassled by the law.

riccip
Old June 9th 04, 12:44 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Bert

There's really no comparison with Portuguese driving conditions.
Up to 1990 no one in Albania was allowed a car. Then when the
commie regime collapsed it became flooded with cars overnight. No
driving tests, no insurance, no road safety, not even a proper
system in place. In Muslim countries the law of the road
generally dictates that if someone hits you then being a
foreigner the accident is automatically YOUR fault because it
would not have happened if you'd not been there. Go figure.

/

I drove right through Portugal last year and I can assure you that large
numbers of the population either drink and drive or cannot drive! I
personally witnessed 3 accidents and came across the clearing up of another
2 all within 5 days, not to mention countless acts of crazy dangerous
driving..Italy the year before was not much better and on several occasions
had to deal with being pulled out on or severely cut up I remember the
further south the worse it got and thinking at the time that they were after
an insurance claim.

Sorry Bert, I don't agree. The bloke in your article took a short
holiday in the safer areas of "central and southern Albania" NINE
YEARS AGO, when Saudi Arabia was being promoted as the new
holiday venue.

Shkoder is considered very dangerous being controlled by armed
criminal gangs along with the coastal Vlore area. Your route will
take you straight through the middle of them. If you think it's
worth the risk go ahead, chances are you'll be okay. However you
should clear it with your insurance first. At least you won't be
hassled by the law.

Yeah I guess it would have to be a risky dash with no breakdown cover
available for Albania and over the odds insurance for the 300 miles
involved.
True from the coast to Shkoder throo Puke to Kukes is bandit alley. I could
probably time my journey start to coincide with Friday afternoon prayers, or
if theyre less Islamical how about an early morning dash......Don't most
bandits drink and womanise well into the night?

I'll maybe just wait and see how it feels when I get close

Cheers

Bert