Complete beginners

Old June 8th 04, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Peter[_4_]

Default Complete beginners

My wife and I are looking to buy a motorhome in the next 12 months. We are
starting from no knowledge but have started to home in on a coachbuilt up to
20 foot. We want single beds. We also need at least one belted passenger
seat, excluding the cab. Other than that we have not progressed far.
We are going to the show at Stratford on Saturday, 19 June which, hopefully,
will help us move forward. If anyone out there will be there and able to
offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated. Any online advice on
things we should be thinking about would also be gratefully received.

Old June 9th 04, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
tom

Just got a new motorhome myself for the first time. I personally found going
to the shows you can get the best advice from motorhome people visiting
themselves and the best deals by playing companys off against one another, I
saved nearly 2000 in extras by buying in january when companys like SWIFT
are looking to get there work catalogue full for the season. another tip if
you got nothing to trade like I did'nt you can also get another reduction
because they got no hassle in trying to sell your old van or car. Took me a
year to finally decide which one to go for (you have to be sure when you
consider the outlay). I got mine from marquis motorhomes and can only say
they were very helpful but sometimes lay on the pressure a bit (especially
newbury branch). A magazine I found very helpful to was MOTOR CARAVAN which
I still purchase even now. Anyway I am pleased I made the decision as I am
sure you will be. just avoid the sales pressure and I am sure you find the
perfect van.

Tom.

Old June 9th 04, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
riccip

"Peter" wrote:

My wife and I are looking to buy a motorhome in the next 12 months. We are
starting from no knowledge but have started to home in on a coachbuilt up to
20 foot. We want single beds. We also need at least one belted passenger
seat, excluding the cab. Other than that we have not progressed far.
We are going to the show at Stratford on Saturday, 19 June which, hopefully,
will help us move forward. If anyone out there will be there and able to
offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated. Any online advice on
things we should be thinking about would also be gratefully received.

I've always advised potential new motorcaravanners they should
borrow or hire a van first to make sure they actually like it
before parting with their hard earned readies. It's a big
investment to have sitting on your drive so you must make sure it
won't be an expensive mistake. There are always plenty of "almost
new" motorcaravans on sale from misguided first-timers - let that
be a warning to rent first!

Your first consideration is new or used? Unless you *must* have a
new van always buy used. You'll save a fortune, avoid initial
depreciation and hopefully buy a vehicle with all the niggles
sorted. Used vans often come with a lot of extras and camping
gear that will save you having to purchase separately, especially
if buying privately.

Personally I would never pay a dealer's mark-up but I understand
why many feel more secure with a forecourt purchase. If you use a
dealer don't pay the asking price. It's always negotiable and
when it's been reduced as far as possible see what else he'll
throw in to swing it. Examine the warranty very carefully and
don't be afraid to get additional conditions added in writing
until you are satisfied.

Whether new or used you should aim to buy over winter when it's a
buyer's market. Again you can save a lot of money and drive an
even harder bargain from any dealer. Likewise the time to sell is
during late spring or summer. Stick to these rules and you could
even make a profit. :-)

Choosing your "ideal van" is very difficult. Nobody can correctly
advise you on this because everyone has different requirements,
and you'll only discover your own through experience. You are
doing the right thing in going to a show but don't set your heart
on one model to the exclusion of all else. Always remember it's
*you* that makes the perfect motorcaravan holiday, not the
kitchen layout or the position of the toilet.

Find a van that makes maximum use of available storage space. You
never seem to have enough. If you are tall like me then make sure
you have enough leg room in the cab and the beds. If you will be
traveling long distance and want to make more rapid progress then
consider a more streamlined coachbuilt with an over-cab locker
rather than an over-cab bed.

The length requires some consideration. If you intend to use
ferries a lot then 6 metres (19.5 ft) is generally the cut off
point before you move into a higher price band. Then there's
parking. I've found 17 - 18 ft to be the longest practical for
relatively easy parking in busy areas, which you'll want to do on
tour. Height should be no more than 2.8 metres max, preferably
below 2.5 metres, or you'll find parking even more restricted.

Choice of base vehicle is again a personal matter, everyone has
their own favourites. Above all you want something reliable.
Nothing ruins a holiday more than a return journey in a breakdown
truck. You will find some guidance he
http://www.whatvan.co.uk

Finally I'd just repeat the advice to keep your feet firmly on
the ground. If you find yourself getting all misty eyed over
something wonderful at the Stratford show slap yourself across
the face before reaching for your cheque book. Act in haste
repent at leisure.

riccip
Old June 13th 04, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
AC

In article , Peter [email protected]
TYPEhotmail.com writes
My wife and I are looking to buy a motorhome in the next 12 months. We are
starting from no knowledge but have started to home in on a coachbuilt up to
20 foot. We want single beds. We also need at least one belted passenger
seat, excluding the cab.

be aware that the weight information frequently given with (even new)
MHs can be incorrect. In some cases maufacturers seem to be selling MHs
which are (by weight) not capable of carrying the indicated
passengers(!!) even before you add yours and theirs luggage.

--
AC