Electrics

« - | - »

Old June 10th 04, 01:46 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Brian H

Default Electrics

I got a T25 1986 Reimo conversion 1.9 petrol RHD a week or so ago. The
engine and body are in good nick but a bit of work needs to be done on
the internals.

The 1st thing I want to do is to rewire the habitation side. I want to
rip out the existing wiring and install an RCD protected Consumer Unit
and zig unit or similar switchover panel.

At present, there are 2 batteries but the leisure one is knackered.
The existing appliances are traumatic (?) heater and controls, pump,
3-way fridge, 2 x 220V sockets and 2 x 12v socket outlets plus various
lighting and fan circuits. I would like to be able to hook up a genny
and solar panels. There is an existing main intale/hookup facility. I
also would like to fit a charger for both batteries and a 600W
inverter connected to UK socket outlets which will disconnect when I
connect external mains hookup. I intend to fit a VanBitz battery
master
http://www.vanbitz.com/products.cfm?...ctlist&catID=3

Can anyone point me to sources of information, especially wiring
diagrammes. It is essential that all mains electrics is to current
wiring regs.

I am a qualified electrician and have extensive experience of single
and three phase commercial, industrial and domestic installation.
However, I have never worked on DC and have no experience at all of
auto electrics.

Thanks guys

Old June 11th 04, 08:20 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
wildman

Tone, he's already been to sbmcc, but he didn't get any joy (replies) as he
frightened them all by saying he's already an expert (aka a qualified
electrician, regs etc.).

"Tone" wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 13:46:53 +0100, Brian H wrote:

Thanks guys

Your best source of info is
www.sbmcc.co.uk

The self build Motorcaravan club
Join then go to the Forum and post away

Old June 11th 04, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Tone

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 08:20:30 +0100, "wildman" wrote:

Tone, he's already been to sbmcc, but he didn't get any joy (replies) as he
frightened them all by saying he's already an expert (aka a qualified
electrician, regs etc.).

OIC !!

Old June 11th 04, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
riccip

Brian H wrote:

I intend to fit a VanBitz battery master

That's unnecessarily expensive, there are many cheaper bits of
kit that do exactly the same job. Any automatic battery charger
can be left connected throughout winter, or just connect a
trickle charger for a few hours each month. Better still run the
engine for a few minutes every few days.

I am a qualified electrician and have extensive experience of single
and three phase commercial, industrial and domestic installation.
However, I have never worked on DC and have no experience at all of
auto electrics.

Not sure what you're worrying about here. If you can do 3-phase
then 12v electrics are a piece of ****. No earth and just connect
the negative anywhere on the bodyshell. When in doubt fit an
extra in-line fuse. This is a good starter site:
http://www.motorcaravanning.co.uk/ve.../electrics.htm

You will find appliance manuals he
http://www.faultfinder.freeserve.co.uk/manuals.html

riccip
Old June 11th 04, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Les Rose

"riccip" wrote in message
snip
connected throughout winter, or just connect a
trickle charger for a few hours each month. Better still run the
engine for a few minutes every few days.

snip

No don't run the engine every few days, you will wear it out unless you take
the van for a decent run each time.