Tachometer in a Talbot Express

Old June 15th 04, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.motorcaravans
SandS

Default Tachometer in a Talbot Express

I wish to fit a tachometer to my 1991 Talbot Express 2.0 Petrol
with Ducellier Electonic Ignition. The Peter Russek Manual (and
the Haynes Manual for the 504) state that an "HT tachometer" MUST
be used. However I have a standard TIM 80mm Dash-mounted
tachometer from Halfords that connects onto the Coil -ve (other
wires connect to Ign +ve and Earth) which seems to work fine. I
only connected it for a few seconds as I didn't want to risk
damaging the Electonic Ignition module/amplifier

Has anyone fitted a standard Tachometer of this sort (connected
directly to the coil -ve) on a Talbot Express or vehicle that
states it shouldn't and if so has it suffered any ignition module
failure as a result ?

Thank you,
Steve

Old June 22nd 04, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.motorcaravans
ROBIN DUMPLETON

Not tacho but converting to LPG uses the coil neg for the pulse and coil pos
for the power without any problems.

Robin

Old June 26th 04, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.motorcaravans
SandS

Thanks for the info Robin.
I connected the Tacho to the coil -ve and it seems to be running
fine. Just hope it lasts !
Steve

"ROBIN DUMPLETON" wrote in
message ...