Holiday planning - all Suggestions gratefully received

Old June 22nd 04, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
ah

Default Holiday planning - all Suggestions gratefully received

Am planning a motorhome trip in July (setting off around 20th) for 4 weeks
mainly in France but just a brief trip into Switzerland for a few days.

Basically we only have two parameters, we want to go very near to Lausanne
in first week and sometime in holiday we want to spend a week at Remoullin
(nr Avignon) but apart from that we just want to spend a few days here and
there. We have kids (15, 8, 6) and we have a 34' American so we need sites
we can get on. Basically its a chill out type holiday (ie sites with good
pools) but coupled with a bit of travelling. We tend to like typical french
sites rather than the Butlins over crowded type. Not bothered about being
near sea especially in South of France which was a little overcrowded for
our liking.

So if anyone out there wants to act as an unpaid travel agent I would be
very grateful, hopefully it will save me wasting any precious time on poor
sites.

Thanks in advance,

AH

--
Remove "THE BRAIN" to reply

Old June 22nd 04, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Dave Hardy

"ah" wrote in message
[...]

Plenty of campsites in France but at that time of year, most of them will be
like Butlins, especially the ones with pools. Also, the pitch sizes aren't
that big and they do tend to pack 'em in.......

You could have real difficulty finding a space - seaside campsites are the
most popular and most of them are probably full by now. They tend to be
quite noisy, and many provide free discos (for the teenagers) which are
usually noisy and go on until midnight.

Try this site:
http://www.lescampingsdefrance.com/f...t.php?DptID=59

A 34' American is going to be a bugger to park, especially in those really
interesting small towns/villages. We've got a 7.5m Hymer and we trailer our
motorbike over there for our local touring.

Sorry for all the negatives - hope you find somewhere nice and have a great
time

Dave

Old June 22nd 04, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
ROBIN DUMPLETON

We like Saumur- Isle d'offard. Pool is olympic size and can be cold, it's
actually the town pool entry is free. Lots to do in the town. The French
Cavalry school and the Armoured Fighting Vehicle museum are worth a look

Robin

Old June 23rd 04, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy R

"Dave Hardy" wrote in message

"ah" wrote in message
[...]

There are sites all around France much nicer than these. I could name
several where you could take a large motorhome, have a decent sized pitch,
friendly atmosphere, decent pools, saunas, lakes/rivers to play/swim in,
small relaxed bars on site, lots for the kids to do (like learn circus
skills, go on nature trails, painting, sculpting, bug hunts etc), boules
pitches and no slot machines. We go every year to one of these and my kids
(now 6 & 9) love it. We're returning to one this year for a week where we
particularly enjoyed ourselves last year. It's a site that covers a massive
area but there's no booking at any time of the year, lots of space, a large
pool, small lake for boating/fishing/swimming, restaurant on site serving
home grown food, once a week they light the old bread oven and the kids
spend the morning collecting wood for it and the afternoon making bread and
pizzas to cook in it, good loos & showers and not an electronic game machine
in sight. Not having to get dressed all week is a real bonus, no decision
of what to wear, no attempts made to make the kids clothes last for the
holiday virtually no washing to take home. Take a look at
http://www.lecolombier-naturisme.com/. Another very good one is
http://www.lecouderc.com/ but all of the naturist sites we've been to in
France (including the big ones like http://www.chm-montalivet.com/) are
still much better than the normal French camp sites where, as you say, you
get packed in and it's like Butlins.

Rgds

Andy R

Old June 23rd 04, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
riccip

"ah" wrote:

Am planning a motorhome trip in July (setting off around 20th) for 4 weeks
mainly in France but just a brief trip into Switzerland for a few days.

Anyone traveling to (or through) Switzerland will need a
"Vignette". It's a Swiss motorway "tax disc", a sticker that you
put in your windscreen, which costs around 18. There's no way to
avoid paying it but they remain current until January 31 next
year. You will see them on sale in garages, shops and service
areas on the way but they're up to a third more expensive from
there. Pay at the Swiss border coz it's cheaper.

If you plan to use the Gothard Tunnel going south avoid peak
times unless you fancy queueing for an hour or two. Try to time
it before 10am or after 6pm.

riccip
Old June 23rd 04, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
AC

In article , ROBIN DUMPLETON
writes
We like Saumur- Isle d'offard. Pool is olympic size and can be cold, it's
actually the town pool entry is free. Lots to do in the town. The French
Cavalry school and the Armoured Fighting Vehicle museum are worth a look

the town centre is a useful walk of about 20 minutes away, which is
useful for relaxation and light shopping etc. Lovely view of the chateau
on the hill too.
--
AC
Old June 26th 04, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Blaze

quite noisy, and many provide free discos (for the teenagers) which are
usually noisy and go on until midnight.

Try this site:
http://www.lescampingsdefrance.com/f...t.php?DptID=59

Its all in French.....all the provinces are in french... they don't even
have a main town in the block so you roughly know where you are... LOL

Any English French camp site sites ?

thanks