Rev Limiter

Old June 29th 04, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
SandS

Default Rev Limiter

I'm after a cheap basic Rev limiter. Does anyone know of a cheap
model or the model of a car with one fitted as standard that I
might find in a scrap yard. Its to go on a Talbot Express van
(2.0 Peugeot engine) to prevent the engine over revving by
accident.

On a related issue does anyone know the Redline for this engine ?
It is the same old 1971cc pushrod engine as fitted the Peugeot
504 / 505 and from my memory of pushrod engines I suspect its in
the region of 5000 RPM but would like to be certain.

Thank you,
Steve

Old July 4th 04, 07:51 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Mike Marriott

The cheapest rev limiter I have ever found was a nut and bolt.

Drill a hole in the floor under the throttle peddle and put a bolt through
with a nut and washer either side of the floor panel. Loosen the nuts and
adjust the height of the bolt until the throttle will only go down as far as
is needed to make the required revs then tighten the nuts together.

However, don't forget the drawbacks with rev limiters. There may be times
on the road when you need those extra revs to help out!!

We all make mistakes and have to get out of them a bit sharpish, or, have
to get out of the way of other people's mistakes.

--
Mike
E-mail:

Old July 5th 04, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
riccip

"Mike Marriott" wrote:

The cheapest rev limiter I have ever found was a nut and bolt.

Drill a hole in the floor under the throttle peddle and put a bolt through
with a nut and washer either side of the floor panel. Loosen the nuts and
adjust the height of the bolt until the throttle will only go down as far as
is needed to make the required revs then tighten the nuts together.

However, don't forget the drawbacks with rev limiters. There may be times
on the road when you need those extra revs to help out!!

We all make mistakes and have to get out of them a bit sharpish, or, have
to get out of the way of other people's mistakes.

Peugeot petrol engines will take quite a few revs anyway so it
would be pretty hard to over-rev them unless the throttle stuck
open. A better idea might be an emergency engine cut off switch
on the dash, either wired to the coil or to a fuel cut-off
solenoid.

riccip
Old July 5th 04, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
riccip

"SandS" wrote:

I'm after a cheap basic Rev limiter. Does anyone know of a cheap
model or the model of a car with one fitted as standard that I
might find in a scrap yard. Its to go on a Talbot Express van
(2.0 Peugeot engine) to prevent the engine over revving by
accident.

On a related issue does anyone know the Redline for this engine ?
It is the same old 1971cc pushrod engine as fitted the Peugeot
504 / 505 and from my memory of pushrod engines I suspect its in
the region of 5000 RPM but would like to be certain.

Max power is quoted at 5800 rpm but they'll rev above 6000 no
problem. This was a *very* good rally-tested engine and
practically indestructible, so tough they're still used in taxis
in Africa. It has an unburstable steel crank, double row timing
chain (strong and long lasting) and double valve springs (help to
dampen out spring surge at high revs). Many years ago we had an
old, high mileage 504 estate that was used and abused as a
delivery van. No maintenance or servicing and driven all around
the country revving the guts out of the poor thing. It was driven
so hard the suspension eventually collapsed but the engine still
ran like a sewing machine.

riccip
Old July 6th 04, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
SandS

"riccip" wrote in message
"SandS" wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the reassuring info riccip.
I've been pouring through the manuals (504, 505 and talbot
Express) and the Van version produces max power (75bhp!) at 5000
RPM but it does have the double timing chain and Valve springs so
I guess its capable of the high RPM you mention.

I must get it a bigger carb and freeflow airfilter to unlesh
those Ponies! Perhaps not, apart from anything else the brakes
are not too hot when it weighs approx 2200Kg unladen and 2800kg
laden, although it has no problems with the mot and has had a
full fluid change so I guess that's just the best I can hope for
brake-wise.

Thanks again for the info.
Steve