Reverse sensors

Old July 4th 04, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
DeepSearcher

Default Reverse sensors

Hi, I'm wondering what sensors are installed in motor-caravans for
detecting obstacles when maneouvring, and how effective they are. Also,
how many sensor points are established.

MTIA

Searcher
Old July 4th 04, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
riccip

DeepSearcher wrote:

Hi, I'm wondering what sensors are installed in motor-caravans for
detecting obstacles when maneouvring, and how effective they are. Also,
how many sensor points are established.

Usually one on each corner, so two sensors are required for
reversing only. You'll find complete reversing systems on eBay
from around £25 new. Good info at this site:
www.perfectparking.co.uk

riccip
Old July 4th 04, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
tom

Hi.
Just to let you know sensors are fine but cannot detect all objects to the
side or above (ie low tree brances) I have them on my MH and generally use
them as a additional aid. I would not rely totally on them always get
someone to watch you back where possible. on a final note I am a bus driver
and the majority of our buses have them but just to emphasize the point one
of our buses was reversing using these sensors (the same as in my MH) and
also a rear view camera, neither sensors or camera manage to pick the fuel
pump behind the bus needless to say the bus hit it with the bottom offside
corner. need I say more.

Tom.
news

Old July 5th 04, 12:34 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
DeepSearcher

El Sun, 04 Jul 2004 19:43:14 +0000, riccip escribió:

www.perfectparking.co.uk

Thank you both. Your information was a great help.

Searcher

Old July 5th 04, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
riccip

"Andy Vines" wrote:

The wife !

LOL! I was gonna say that but she stands directly behind the van
and can't understand that unless I can see her in the mirrors
there's little point in the exercise.

Incidently a few years ago I spotted an elderly chap in a camper
who was having obvious difficulty reversing out of a parking
space. So in the spirit of motorcaravanning fraternity I began
directing him from behind. As he inched back at snail's pace I
was giving a clear indication of the distance behind him. "C'mon,
five foot, four foot, three foot, steady...", then suddenly he
revved up and lurched back at speed into the car parked behind
with a sickening crunch. I'd guess his foot slipped off the
clutch and in panic he hit the throttle instead of the brakes. At
that point both him and his missus jumped out screaming at *me*
for allegedly misdirecting the festering old ****. Since then I
always walk on by and leave reversing drivers to it.

riccip
Old July 6th 04, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
mrcheerful .

"riccip" wrote in message
"Andy Vines" wrote:

[...]

Years ago I tried to drive into my mothers very narrow road and was
confronted by a pikie truck reversing out, so I waited and waited, the truck
went from kerb to kerb and forward and back, eventually I got out, walked to
the truck and said in my best policemans voice "Do you have a licence to
drive this vehicle Sir?"

They were very apologetic (in Irish) and admitted that they were having a
job. I offered to back it out for them and ended up reversing a smelly
pikie transit up the road, I had to hold it in reverse too!!

mrcheerful

Old July 6th 04, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
riccip

"mrcheerful
.." wrote:

Years ago I tried to drive into my mothers very narrow road and was
confronted by a pikie truck reversing out, so I waited and waited, the truck
went from kerb to kerb and forward and back, eventually I got out, walked to
the truck and said in my best policemans voice "Do you have a licence to
drive this vehicle Sir?"

They were very apologetic (in Irish) and admitted that they were having a
job. I offered to back it out for them and ended up reversing a smelly
pikie transit up the road, I had to hold it in reverse too!!

LOL! Lucky the dirty, thieving scum didn't have his caravan
hitched on the back at the time.

riccip