Hooray! EU gets tough on UK Customs

Old July 7th 04, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
riccip

Default Hooray! EU gets tough on UK Customs

At last something good is coming from the EU. The EU Commission
have warned our govt they will act through the European Court if
UK Customs & Excise officers continue to harass booze cruisers.

A couple of years ago I came extremely close to having my
motorcaravan confiscated by these *******s, even though our booze
and baccy purchases were for personal consumption and fully
legal. The C&E have been enforcing their paltry "advisory limits"
as if they are law. They're not, plain and simple.

For many years Gordon Brown has been desperate to stem the loss
of revenue due to cross-channel shopping and unwisely instructed
UK Customs to crack down. They interpreted this as a licence to
treat *all* shoppers as criminal smugglers while the treasury
turned a blind eye.

The horror stories are all true. They did confiscate thousands of
cars and vans belonging to innocent shoppers. They did drag an
elderly pensioner off a coach and instructed the driver to leave
without her. They did confiscate a terminally-ill cancer
sufferer's only means of transport, and seized mobility vehicles
from the disabled. Many of us have spent an hour or more driving
through UK customs as they search every vehicle.

I've personally been illegally detained for two hours then warned
my future movements would be logged and monitored by computer.
What right have these gestapo to threaten me with: "Don't come
back for at least three months!" I've never been treated that
way in any foreign country. Even in Cuba their officials are
friendly and polite.

True, they have eased off a little since the Sun newspaper got on
their case but unwarranted searches and actions still continue.
This EU decision, although long overdue, should at last bring
this practice to an end. Luxembourg here I come.

riccip