aerial

Old October 31st 03, 07:57 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Angela

Default aerial

Hello all,
we are newbies looking forward to our first weekend caravanning next
weekend.
We have got a portable TV, and have been looking at aerials.
Has anyone got any experience with these small round white plastic ones?
They seem too small to pick up a good reception, or are we best getting a
normal aerial.
Any comments appreciated.
T I A

Angela

Old October 31st 03, 08:27 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Robert E A Harvey

"Angela" wrote televisually
Has anyone got any experience with these small round white plastic ones?
They seem too small to pick up a good reception, or are we best getting a
normal aerial.

Well, you don't want a "normal" aerial, as they are sold for a sub-set of
the transmission band, and might not help a long way from home. The band
has been split in four, and the antennae are sold for part A, B, or C&D.
If you go for a conventional multi-arm Yagi make sure it is a "wideband" one
not a "channel grouped" one.

There is a lot of information on the Antiferrence web site,
www.antiference.co.uk, and http://www.antiference.co.uk/rxkit.htm is quite a
cheap way to get a wideband antenna - it is available over the counter in my
local TV shop for example. You will get a very good picture with something
like this, although it does need careful aligning in the correct direction
and you will probably want to customise the mount to make rotation easy.

One that you don't have to point in a particular direction is called an
Omnidirectional, and at any significant distance from the transmitter you
will need an "active" one - it contains a small pre-amplifier and requires
powering somehow, either by battery or by "injection" - a trivial gadget
that adds DC to the co-ax cable. Success will depend on how remote the
sites you use are, and your installation (there may be multi-path effects
on an aluminium roof, for example)

http://www.maxview.ltd.uk/ are a good supplier, and I have used thier
Omnivax to good effect. You have to find it in the recesses of thier web
site - Leisure - outdoor- omnidirectional is a clue.

At the end of the day a directional (yagi) will always be better than an
omni, but less convenient. A bigger, higher yagi will be better than a
short, lower one. But what you actually need will depend on how sensitive
your TV is, how far from human habitation you want to operate, and what the
intervening topography is. Some people at skegness get by with a bit of
wire out the window.

Old October 31st 03, 08:37 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 08:57:49 -0000, "Angela"
wrote:

| Hello all,
| we are newbies looking forward to our first weekend caravanning next
| weekend.
| We have got a portable TV, and have been looking at aerials.
| Has anyone got any experience with these small round white plastic ones?

They are IME crap!
They are omnidirectional and pick up all the reflections around.

| They seem too small to pick up a good reception, or are we best getting a
| normal aerial.

Get a directional aerial, and point it in the same direction as those on
top of the local houses/vans. Get it as high as you can. Tweek it
clockwise/anticlockwise to get best reception. An amplifier is a good
idea.

Dave F

Old October 31st 03, 09:04 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

"Robert E A Harvey" wrote in message
There is a lot of information on the Antiferrence web site,
www.antiference.co.uk, and http://www.antiference.co.uk/rxkit.htm is quite

cheap way to get a wideband antenna - it is available over the counter in

my
local TV shop for example. You will get a very good picture with

something
like this, although it does need careful aligning in the correct direction
and you will probably want to customise the mount to make rotation easy.

You clearly need to be able to rotate the aerial about a vertical axis in
order to point it at the transmitter. But you also need to cope with the
fact that some transmitters use horizontal polarisation - and some use
vertical. This means that you need to be able to mount it on your mast in
such as way that the antenna and reflectors are either horizontal or
vertical - depending on the transmitter.

There had used to be some free booklets available which list all the
transmitters - along with grid reference, power, orientation and the
channels on which they transmit each programme - e.g. BBC1 on Ch 31 etc.
Armed with one of these plus a map and compass, you can do a pretty good job
of setting up your aerial correctly.

One final point - some aerials aimed at the caravan market come with a
bracket which has to attached to the side of the van with rubber suction
pads. Forget these - they are useless - get one with a proper mast which
attaches to the jockey wheel support.

Roger

Old October 31st 03, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Robert E A Harvey

"Roger Mills" wrote aerially
There had used to be some free booklets available which list all the
transmitters - along with grid reference, power, orientation and the
channels on which they transmit each programme - e.g. BBC1 on Ch 31 etc.
Armed with one of these plus a map and compass, you can do a pretty good

job
of setting up your aerial correctly.

Or you can use http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tva.exe? which is
particularly clever. Note you have to correct he bearing for magnetic
variation.

Old October 31st 03, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Sigmund

"Angela" wrote in message
Hello all,
we are newbies looking forward to our first weekend caravanning next
weekend.
We have got a portable TV, and have been looking at aerials.
Has anyone got any experience with these small round white plastic ones?
They seem too small to pick up a good reception, or are we best getting a
normal aerial.
Any comments appreciated.

Forget all about indoor aerials or any kind of omnidirectional ones,
including the Status ones. Get a 'normal' i.e. Directional aerial. Buy it
from B&Q or such together with some coaxial cable. Then get an aerial
mast - try caravan accessory shops and you should be able to get a 3 metre
one that is held upright by winding the jockey wheel down onto its
footplate. Total cost for the lot should be around 35. The mast
dismantles and the aerial will have to be carried somewhere (on the bed?).
It takes up a bit of room but it'll only be in the caravan when towing -
otherwise it'll be set up outside. Just point it in the same direction as
any other aerials you can see (or experiment until you get a picture). Run
the cable into the caravan through the nearest window, you'll find that the
window can be closed easily afterwards, the rubber window cushioning will
prevent any distortion of the window or excess strain on the window catches.
I wouldn't recommend any of those aerials that fasten onto the caravan
awning rail or anywhere else on the caravan for that matter. They'll be
fine until you get a windy day and the aerial gets shaken about for hours -
possibly loosening your awning rail in the process.

Omnidirectional aerials are Jacks of all trades and masters of none. You'll
likely always get some sort of picture but often it will be poor quality and
some channels won't be received at all. A directional aerial will always
perform better giving clearer pictures and more viewable channels.

Old October 31st 03, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:04:05 -0000, "Roger Mills"
wrote:

| One final point - some aerials aimed at the caravan market come with a
| bracket which has to attached to the side of the van with rubber suction
| pads. Forget these - they are useless - get one with a proper mast which
| attaches to the jockey wheel support.

Mine is attached with large, 4 sq ins, adhesive pads to the side of the
van, These work OK.

BTW before using *any* adhesive, clean the area with meths. Release agent
is ubiquitous nowadays, and ruins adhesion.

--
Dave Fawthrop No Orange Cable(3 of 9) How much
charge? 110AH=1320wattHours. Find how many watts/amps each appliance
Old October 31st 03, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:29:19 -0000, "Robert E A Harvey"
wrote:

| "Roger Mills" wrote aerially
| There had used to be some free booklets available which list all the
| transmitters - along with grid reference, power, orientation and the
| channels on which they transmit each programme - e.g. BBC1 on Ch 31 etc.
| Armed with one of these plus a map and compass, you can do a pretty good
| job
| of setting up your aerial correctly.
|
| Or you can use http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tva.exe? which is
| particularly clever. Note you have to correct he bearing for magnetic
| variation.

After that tweek the aerial clockwise and anticlockwise for best reception.
Aerials and obstructions can change things.

Dave F

Old October 31st 03, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andrew Kay

"Sigmund" wrote in message

"Angela" wrote in message

We have got a portable TV, and have been looking at aerials.

Forget all about indoor aerials or any kind of omnidirectional ones,
including the Status ones. Get a 'normal' i.e. Directional aerial. Buy

it
from B&Q or such together with some coaxial cable.

I'll second that.

I bought an 18 element wide-band aerial from B&Q at the start of the
summer - about 14. It slots straight into the clamp for the directional
Image aerial I used before, so I can reuse the mast too - couldn't be
easier.

Reception is much better than with the Image - even though I used an
amplifier with that.

Cheers
Andrew Kay

Old October 31st 03, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Angela

"Andrew Kay" wrote in message
"Sigmund" wrote in message

"Angela" wrote in message

We have got a portable TV, and have been looking at aerials.

Forget all about indoor aerials or any kind of omnidirectional ones,
including the Status ones. Get a 'normal' i.e. Directional aerial. Buy

it
from B&Q or such together with some coaxial cable.

I'll second that.

I bought an 18 element wide-band aerial from B&Q at the start of the
summer - about 14. It slots straight into the clamp for the directional
Image aerial I used before, so I can reuse the mast too - couldn't be
easier.

Reception is much better than with the Image - even though I used an
amplifier with that.

Cheers
Andrew Kay

Many thanks to your comments, all very much appreciated.
So it looks like a B & Q one than.

Angela