Swift Kontiki (Help)

Old April 6th 05, 01:13 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Cliff[_2_]

Default Swift Kontiki (Help)

I am interested in buying a Motor Home for my early retirement to allow me
and my lady wife to travel around Europe for up to 6 months. We like the
Swift Kontiki because of the end 'U' shaped lounge.

As there is only the two of us what are your opinions on the Kontiki for
this purpose?

Is it suitable for extended European travel?

Are we being blinkered just looking for a MH with a rear lounge because it
feels right?

Are there others with a similar set up?

What is the most economical/reliable power unit? (Fiat seems popular, unlike
the cars)

I only want to spend around 16000 on one. Is that enough to get comfort and
reliability?

I would like to buy privately. Is that recommended?

Have you any other advice?

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Cliff

--
To e-mail me direct remove a delicate piece of clothing from my e-mail
address.

Old April 6th 05, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
John Sangwin[_2_]

In message dated Wed, 6 Apr 2005, Cliff wrote:

I am interested in buying a Motor Home for my early retirement to allow me
and my lady wife to travel around Europe for up to 6 months. We like the
Swift Kontiki because of the end 'U' shaped lounge.
As there is only the two of us what are your opinions on the Kontiki for
this purpose?

I think that the 'U' shaped lounge is an ideal layout, having had 3
motor homes with that feature. Some people may call it 'and
old-fashioned caravan type layout' but we, and many others, find it
ideal. The 'U' shape makes for a good seating area for any number up to,
say, 6 people to eat or lounge, a well as providing a day snooze area.

Is it suitable for extended European travel?

Yes.

Are we being blinkered just looking for a MH with a rear lounge because it
feels right?

I would not say so, it feels and IS right to me.

Are there others with a similar set up?

Yes.

What is the most economical/reliable power unit? (Fiat seems popular, unlike
the cars)

Turbo Diesel, most certainly, and Fiat is generally a good base.

I only want to spend around 16000 on one. Is that enough to get comfort and
reliability?

Difficult question; you can get some good and bad ones in that price
band. However, there are many people having a very reliable and good
touring experience in much older units.

I would like to buy privately. Is that recommended?

You can save quite a good bit of money buying privately, but you are
unlikely to have any come-back if it develops a problem shortly after
purchase. If you know the previous owner and it's history then it could
be a plus point.

Have you any other advice?

Unfortunately, early Kon Tiki's were nicknamed 'Kon-Liki' because they
were problems with water ingress at some of the external joints and
seams. Best to get it checked over including a dampness test.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

By all means contact me direct if you want any further help.

John

Old April 6th 05, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
ken

Conversely to John, we had 3 vans with u shape lounges which we really
liked, Wifey however didn't like making up the bed every-night and then
putting it back in the morning. We then went for fixed bed and I must say we
find it much better. The draw back really is we had to get bigger vans so
that we got a decent lounge area as well. We now have a 'Rapido' A class
which we are really pleased with.

Just my views.

Ken

Old April 14th 05, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
J&J

Greetings

I have just purchased a Kontiki Vogue 640/6 and can highly recommend
it.

I thought this may also be the right thread to use to post a query of
my own:

It has a 240v aircon unit that I would like to power from a generator,
probably a diesel one so I can fuel it from the main diesel tank.

I would like to be able to connect it directly to the mains input
"shore power" socket.

Has anyone done this with a generator, and how do you find it, any
advice?

Regards
J&J