LDV Van - Affect of Wind and Lack of Traction!

Old April 6th 05, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.motorcaravans,misc.transport.trucking
Phil P

Default LDV Van - Affect of Wind and Lack of Traction!

I apologise for this post. My knowledge of vans and trucks is limited.
We bought a LDV Pilot (1998) crewcab as an alternative family vehicle
(the six seats really is useful) and also to take some furniture to
France.
The van is great apart from 2 major drawbacks
1) In the wind it is awful. I am constantly worried it is going to
blow off the road and spend all my time adjusting the steering to keep
it in a straight line. My wife has a small Peugeot 106 and that is
much easier to drive in windy conditions than the LDV.
It was awful today and it's not that windy!!
2) In the snow/mud it is just plain undriveable. We have a turning
place on some land we own. In the car it is easy to turn round but the
LDV seems to get stuck on grass - never mind snow or mud. There have
been countless times where I have gone to turn round and found the
rear wheels spinning with no traction and have had to get out and put
things on the back wheels (mats etc)

On both the occasions above the van has been empty apart from the
driver (12 stone). Please could someone suggest why this is happening?
I fitted some winter tyres but they haven't really helped.

My friend suggested that it is because the vehicle is empty and has no
weight at the back? Should I buy some concrete slabs to weigh down the
back ? I'd have thought being 2.2 ton of vehicle there would be enough
to get traction!

Any advice appreciated and sorry for me being such a plonker.

Many thanks in advance

Phil
Old April 6th 05, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.motorcaravans,misc.transport.trucking
Guy King

The message
from (Phil P) contains these words:

Please could someone suggest why this is happening?

Your friend is right - they have sod all traction when empty because
there's no weight over the back axles. You can ballast it if you feel
like it. Concrete is inconvenient, try water[1]. Or try driving a
suitable vehicle!

[1] In one of these...
http://tinyurl.com/6sjh9

--
Skipweasel.
In the beginning was the word.

Old April 6th 05, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.motorcaravans,misc.transport.trucking
shazzbat

"Phil P" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Welcome to the wonderful wacky world of commercial vehicles. The problem
with wind is what all van and truck drivers have to put up with all the
time. I'm sure you will on occasion have heard that bridges, particularly
the severn bridge, get closed to high sided vehicles, and now you know why.
Getting blown over is rare, but happens. Not so rare is getting blown nearly
over, so that the driving wheels lose traction and the wheels spin, your
speed reduces, the wheels come back down and grip again. This can also
happen on bends/roundabouts, when the weight of the body makes it lean over.

Difficulty turning round on the grass is also a common problem. I have an
LDV with single rear wheels, so I avoid grass whenever possible! Try this-
engage 1st gear and let the clutch pedal up slowly *without* touching the
accelerator pedal. You are obviously more used to a small car with front
wheel drive which is much easier in these circumstances.

And remember next time you're stuck behind a van or a truck, he's not
holding you up deliberately, he's doing his best!

Regards,
Steve

Old April 6th 05, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.motorcaravans,misc.transport.trucking
Dave Smith[_2_]

shazzbat wrote:

Welcome to the wonderful wacky world of commercial vehicles. The problem
with wind is what all van and truck drivers have to put up with all the
time. I'm sure you will on occasion have heard that bridges, particularly
the severn bridge, get closed to high sided vehicles, and now you know why.
Getting blown over is rare, but happens. Not so rare is getting blown nearly
over, so that the driving wheels lose traction and the wheels spin, your
speed reduces, the wheels come back down and grip again. This can also
happen on bends/roundabouts, when the weight of the body makes it lean over.

Gotta love those 53 foot trailers. They will be driving down the road in a cross
wind with the tractor over the line on one side of the lane and the back of the
trailer is hanging over the line on the other side. And when there is a really
strong windstorm there will be empty trailers being blown over all over the
place.

Old April 6th 05, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.motorcaravans,misc.transport.trucking
MrGrumpy

But if using water, doent allow any 'slopping' space, ie fill container
fully, otherwise you'll get the'Herald of Free Enterprise' effect.

Old April 6th 05, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.motorcaravans,misc.transport.trucking
Guy King

The message
from "shazzbat" contains these words:

And remember next time you're stuck behind a van or a truck, he's not
holding you up deliberately, he's doing his best!

The Norbert Dentressangle tanker which overtook me yesterday (while I
was doing a little over 70mph, guv) was certainly doing his best.

Don't they have speed limiters on the continong?

Old April 6th 05, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.motorcaravans,misc.transport.trucking
shazzbat

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from "shazzbat" contains these words:

And remember next time you're stuck behind a van or a truck, he's not
holding you up deliberately, he's doing his best!

The Norbert Dentressangle tanker which overtook me yesterday (while I
was doing a little over 70mph, guv) was certainly doing his best.

Don't they have speed limiters on the continong?

Allegedly. Although foreign drivers in UK know that they are pretty much
asbestos. There's very little chance of being nicked, and if they are,
there's very little chance of follow up, especially if the come the old
"Que?"

Mind you I had the same recently on the M40 from an initial city link double
decker. I was in a 7.5 tonner at the time, so allowed to do 70 mph. I
overtook him, a puff of wind dropped me down to 65 before I could get back
in to lane1, next minute I'm behind him again, still doing 65.

Steve

Old April 6th 05, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.motorcaravans,misc.transport.trucking
Conor Turton[_2_]

In article , Phil P
says...
[...]

1) Situation normal. Higher they get, the more the wind affects them
and the more they lean from the higher centre of gravity. You want to
try driving with a 15ft 9 inch 45 foot long trailer.
2) Situation normal if you can't drive and give it too much throttle.

Conor

Windows & Outlook/OE in particular, shipped with settings making them
as open to entry as a starlet in a porno. Steve B
Old April 6th 05, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.motorcaravans,misc.transport.trucking
Conor Turton[_2_]

In article , Dave Smith says...

Gotta love those 53 foot trailers. They will be driving down the road in a cross
wind with the tractor over the line on one side of the lane and the back of the
trailer is hanging over the line on the other side. And when there is a really
strong windstorm there will be empty trailers being blown over all over the
place.

What 53 foot trailers would those be, the ones that are 8 foot over the
maximum permissable limit? Or did you mean 45 foot? :-p

Old April 6th 05, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.motorcaravans,misc.transport.trucking
SteveH

shazzbat wrote:

Difficulty turning round on the grass is also a common problem. I have an
LDV with single rear wheels, so I avoid grass whenever possible! Try this-
engage 1st gear and let the clutch pedal up slowly *without* touching the
accelerator pedal. You are obviously more used to a small car with front
wheel drive which is much easier in these circumstances.

And remember next time you're stuck behind a van or a truck, he's not
holding you up deliberately, he's doing his best!

FWD Transits (the full sized one, not Connect) don't have these
problems, though.

What they do get is over-light steering when loaded.
VW Golf GL Cabrio - Alfa 75 TS - VW Passat 1.8T 20V SE - COSOC KOTL