Jumpstart from a leisure battery - is this possible?

Old April 6th 05, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
nickw

Default Jumpstart from a leisure battery - is this possible?

I've got a '87 VW autosleeper which has the vehicle battery under the
drivers seat and the leisure battery under the passenger seat. I'm
about to do six months away round europe for the first time and am a
bit wary of ending up somewhere remote with a flat battery. I was
wondering though in an emergency whether I could simply hook jumper
cables to the leisure battery and the main battery and jump start this
way. My feeling is this won't work as the batteries are for different
purposes but would like to know for sure.

Are there any other effective ways to get a motorhome started easily
in these situations? I've looked at expensive and bulky rechargers
but am not sure I want to fork out for one - any suggestions?
Old April 6th 05, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy R

"nickw" wrote in message
om...
I've got a '87 VW autosleeper which has the vehicle battery under the
drivers seat and the leisure battery under the passenger seat. I'm
about to do six months away round europe for the first time and am a
bit wary of ending up somewhere remote with a flat battery. I was
wondering though in an emergency whether I could simply hook jumper
cables to the leisure battery and the main battery and jump start this
way. My feeling is this won't work as the batteries are for different
purposes but would like to know for sure.

It depends on what you're using as a leisure battery. If it was built for
the purpose then it's probably got a max discharge rate which is less than
you'll need to jump start the engine and doing so will damage the battery.
If you're just using an ordinary vehicle battery as a leisure battery then
there should be no probs, just make sure you don't let it go completely flat
or heavily discharged too often cos it'll shorten its life considerably.

Are there any other effective ways to get a motorhome started easily
in these situations? I've looked at expensive and bulky rechargers
but am not sure I want to fork out for one - any suggestions?

I don't really see why there should be a prob, if the vehicle battery isn't
being used then why should it go flat unless you're going to be parked up
for ages. If so, consider a wind or solar generator. Alternatively take a
small petrol genny with you, that'll charge up a battery pretty quick.

Rgds

Andy R

Old April 6th 05, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
themechanic

Think the easiest answer to your problem is to purchase a power
booster pack and store that somewhere out of the way. Can be charged
via a cigarette lighter socket when flat but will 'jump start' your
chassis battery. They are getting relatively cheap now so well worth
the expense. Great for loads of other applications too. I don't own
jump leads anymore as a booster pack will jump start a vehicle with a
totally discharged battery.

Old April 6th 05, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
JB

"Andy R" wrote in message

If so, consider a wind or solar generator.

Do those things really work? I've sometimes seen them in shops but I've
always thought it was a bit like the "dog bark stopper" devices.

Old April 6th 05, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
themechanic

I swear by them both proffessionally and for my leisure use. Say your
vehicle is stuck up a tight drive and you cannot get a car close
enough for jump starting, these work a treat though the higher the
ampage the better the start. My leisure one is 1400 but I have a 2200
at work. The bigger one will start half a dozen cars with totally
flat batteries one after the other and can be recharged simply by
leaving them on the now running vehicle. They can be charged normally
via mains electrics or trickle charged via cigar lighter socket.
As an extra tip, and this works for jumper cables too, always put
positive to positive, and earth to an engine bracket. This saves the
surge running through the body and earthing straps and gives a sharper
boost to the starter itself.
Don't bother with the ones that has a light on it or an air pump,
they tend to break too easily and are not up to the job.

Old April 7th 05, 08:38 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy R

"JB" wrote in message

"Andy R" wrote in message

If so, consider a wind or solar generator.

Do those things really work? I've sometimes seen them in shops but I've
always thought it was a bit like the "dog bark stopper" devices.

Solar panels are useful for a trickle charge unless you buy a really big one
but wind powered generators can supply a useful current of about 1.5A in a
10 knot wind, this'd be more than enough to keep a leisure battery topped up
for normal use.

Rgds

Andy R

Old April 7th 05, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
JB

"Andy R" wrote in message

"JB" wrote in message

"Andy R" wrote in message

If so, consider a wind or solar generator.

Do those things really work? I've sometimes seen them in shops but I've
always thought it was a bit like the "dog bark stopper" devices.

Solar panels are useful for a trickle charge unless you buy a really big
one but wind powered generators can supply a useful current of about 1.5A
in a 10 knot wind, this'd be more than enough to keep a leisure battery
topped up for normal use.

Rgds

Andy R

Thanks for that. I'll look into it.

Old April 9th 05, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Nick

Are there any other effective ways to get a motorhome started easily
in these situations? I've looked at expensive and bulky rechargers
but am not sure I want to fork out for one - any suggestions?

Something like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...&rd=1&tc=photo

Nick

Old April 19th 05, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Mike Williams[_2_]

"Tone" wrote in message

You could directly conect them up and let the Leirure
battery discharge into and therefore charge the Main
battery. It will probably give you enough guts to start
it given a few hours

I'm afraid it doesn't work like that, Tone.

Mike