Solar Panel

Old April 10th 05, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Bendy Bhindy

Default Solar Panel

I had one on my previous motorhome & found it useful when staying at sites
without mains electricity.
I would like to fit one again - does anybody have any experience or can
recommend a supplier?

Old April 28th 05, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
[email protected]

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 18:11:45 +0100, "Bendy Bhindy"
wrote:

I had one on my previous motorhome & found it useful when staying at sites
without mains electricity.
I would like to fit one again - does anybody have any experience or can
recommend a supplier?

Maplin are doing a deal at the moment. 79 for 15 watt panel plus 14
for a simple controller.

I have come to the conclusion that 2x 15 watt panels would be just
about enough for our use.

So if you have two panels plus one controller it will cost at the
moment 79 x2 plus 14 for controller.

Wire the panels in parrallel (positive to positive negative to
negative) then two wires to the controller and then to your battery.

The thing which may be most trouble is mounting them on the van.
You might find it better to get a single 30 watt panel from the
installation point of view.

Depends on you van and mounting system

I have a top box with roof bars so was easy. There was also an old
access hole for a tv cable and I am using that with a plastic grommet
well sealed with silicone sealer.

On a temporary basis I had just one panel inside the van connected by
a lead to the relevant battery. Leisre or vehicle. Now connected
permanently via a switch to change between charging the vehicle
battery or the leisure battery.

Doing it this way means the vehicle battery can be kept at full charge
whilst in storage. Assuming that the panel is exposed to day light.
Old April 28th 05, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
[email protected]

wrote:

I had one on my previous motorhome & found it useful when staying at sites
without mains electricity.
I would like to fit one again - does anybody have any experience or can
recommend a supplier?

Forgot the web address they can be found in towns throughout the UK

http://www.maplin.co.uk/
Old April 28th 05, 11:41 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
CampinGazz

wrote:

I had one on my previous motorhome & found it useful when staying at

sites
without mains electricity.
I would like to fit one again - does anybody have any experience or can
recommend a supplier?

Well, i know a person you can buy a 123 watt panel for 420, if you were at
the peterborough motorhome show last weekend the same panels were selling
for almost 700 quid!!

i got one on my van's roof.. was putting in 32 amp hours per day at the
show, enough to keep me going for a few weeks with power conservation.

depends on your usage really, if you have a small camper van with only a
single strip light, little water pump and sod all else, then a 30 watt panel
will more than keep up, but add a TV, video/dvd player, diaphram water pump,
laptop, phone chargers, camera chargers.. inverter usage etc, then you'll
need 5 or more amps of charge available just to keep up.

on my van i havent used shore power for over a year.. only had the panel for
a month but i could last 3 to 4 days on my 110 Ah battery before,
i now have a 460AH battery bank, and the 123 watt panel on the roof, i
expect to last a good few weeks in one place before i need any external
charging.

Old May 3rd 05, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
[email protected]

wrote:

I had one on my previous motorhome & found it useful when staying at sites
without mains electricity.
I would like to fit one again - does anybody have any experience or can
recommend a supplier?

http://www.energyenv.co.uk/Solar_PV_Modules.asp

Try this link seems to be the cheapest arround 80 Watt panel for 250
plus 13.00 for delivery.

You will also need a charge controller to protect your battery try
this link to same site

http://www.energyenv.co.uk/products.asp?id=17

Maplin do the 7 amp charger for 14.00 which is fine for an 80 Watt
panel.

You need to give careful thought to mounting the panel.

My initial purchase from Maplin (cheap deal) has a mounting system
built in.

John
Old May 3rd 05, 08:28 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
[email protected]

wrote:

I had one on my previous motorhome & found it useful when staying at sites
without mains electricity.
I would like to fit one again - does anybody have any experience or can
recommend a supplier?

Forgot the web address they can be found in towns throughout the UK

http://www.maplin.co.uk/

I take it you either work for Maplin or someone else is paying.

No I do not work for Maplin. I found a 15 Watt panel cheap on their
site and compared with other prices this was a good deal.The original
poster asked for that sort of information.

No someone else did not pay for it.

It is a pity that for the second time on this group my input has been
sneered at by people who seem to have an ego problem

Read my other input to this question and come up with something better
before exercising your ego in public..

Newsgroups are about exchanging information of mutual benefit not
making silly comments.

Have you got any information on methods prices or experience which
would be useful?

If you need an example of useful information have a look at
campingazz's input.

That reply gave me further useful information on consumption in a
practical manner.Which is exactly what the original poster asked for.
Old May 18th 05, 06:54 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
[email protected]

which might help.Look in files link

The best prices seem to be from

http://www.energyenv.co.uk/default.asp

Helpful people on the phone.

I have not actually purchased from them yet because I have been
playing with a small unit from Maplin.

Installation needs thought and advice, before purchase.

I had roof bars on my motorcaravan for a top box and made a simple
mount from aluminium "U" section bars.

John