Water tanks

Old April 11th 05, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
JB

Default Water tanks

I tend to bring a car with me so when I set up camp I can leave it set up.
Saves on Diesel as well.

The problem is that I end up moving just to get to the tap to fill the tank.
To get around this I'm trying just about everything I can.

So far I've set up with a 12V pump with a hose going into the tank but it's
far from ideal. I've tried pouring water in using a funnel. Now I reckon
my best bet might be to set up a siphon and try to get it to trickle in.

What do people on here do to fill their motor caravan's fresh water tanks?
Does everyone move their 'van or is there some super secret solution nobody
has told me about?

Old April 11th 05, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Asolepius[_2_]

"JB" wrote in message
I tend to bring a car with me so when I set up camp I can leave it set up.
Saves on Diesel as well.

The problem is that I end up moving just to get to the tap to fill the
tank. To get around this I'm trying just about everything I can.

So far I've set up with a 12V pump with a hose going into the tank but
it's far from ideal. I've tried pouring water in using a funnel. Now I
reckon my best bet might be to set up a siphon and try to get it to
trickle in.

What do people on here do to fill their motor caravan's fresh water tanks?
Does everyone move their 'van or is there some super secret solution
nobody has told me about?

Yes, this is a pain. With 5 adults wanting showers every night there's not
usually enough water to last until morning. We are currently forced to top
up using buckets poured into the big tank opening on top (under the rear
seat in our Hymer). Less of a problem with longer term sites as we usually
manage to get a tap nearby and use a long flat hose. It's the overnight
stops which can be a nuisance, especially on CLs without proper facilities.

Old April 11th 05, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
CampinGazz

"JB" wrote in message
I tend to bring a car with me so when I set up camp I can leave it set up.
Saves on Diesel as well.

The problem is that I end up moving just to get to the tap to fill the

tank.
To get around this I'm trying just about everything I can.

So far I've set up with a 12V pump with a hose going into the tank but

it's
far from ideal. I've tried pouring water in using a funnel. Now I reckon
my best bet might be to set up a siphon and try to get it to trickle in.

What do people on here do to fill their motor caravan's fresh water tanks?
Does everyone move their 'van or is there some super secret solution

nobody
has told me about?

140 litre tanks on our motorhome means we last 10 days before needing to
re-fill,
when we do we either use a very long hose, or move the van, i need to do
that anyway to dump the grey water tank.. not that it's often we stay in one
place for 10 days in a row mind.. did it once this year so far, at a site in
paris in febuary, just done 6 nights at the malvern motorhome show, so
didn't need to move at all to fill up or dump anything.. except the toilet
tank which we trundle behind us on a trolly.

If i had to keep filling the tank every few days, and had a car with me
(take a motorbike) i'd do the water pump thing.. get a water tank in the
back of the car, fill it at a tap, pump it into the van's tank,

only thing is i wouldent use a caravan type water pump that flows about 7
litres a minute,
i'd use a boat's bilge pump pumping something like 30 litres a minute,
they can be had for about 20 quid, pull about 2 or 3 amps at 12 volts, you
just need to juse a large bore hose to deliver the water from the pump to
the tank.. a length of 1 inch diamiter lay flat hose would do the trick,
easy to store.. just roll it up, but will flow enough to make filling the
tank a 5 minute job.

Old April 11th 05, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
JB

"CampinGazz" wrote in message

140 litre tanks on our motorhome means we last 10 days before needing to
re-fill,

140 is impressive. I think mine is about 50 but it still doesn't last more
than 1.5 days

If i had to keep filling the tank every few days, and had a car with me
(take a motorbike) i'd do the water pump thing.. get a water tank in the
back of the car, fill it at a tap, pump it into the van's tank,

only thing is i wouldent use a caravan type water pump that flows about 7
litres a minute,
i'd use a boat's bilge pump pumping something like 30 litres a minute,
they can be had for about 20 quid, pull about 2 or 3 amps at 12 volts, you
just need to juse a large bore hose to deliver the water from the pump to
the tank.. a length of 1 inch diamiter lay flat hose would do the trick,
easy to store.. just roll it up, but will flow enough to make filling the
tank a 5 minute job.

I've had bad luck with pumps, they seem to keep breaking. Having said that,
I've never looked at a bilge pump. I may try to check it out.

Old April 12th 05, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy[_8_]

With my last van, were the water filler point was very high, I used 2 x 12l
water bottles with spouts that screwed onto the cap thread. Not too heavy to
lift and easy to carry because you are balanced.

Old April 13th 05, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
ken

'Campingazz' is right. I always use a high output 12v pump, every motorhome
I have had, I always fit a exterior 12v socket. It empties the container
fast.

ken

Old April 14th 05, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Nick

"JB" wrote in message
I tend to bring a car with me so when I set up camp I can leave it set up.
Saves on Diesel as well.

The problem is that I end up moving just to get to the tap to fill the
tank. To get around this I'm trying just about everything I can.

So far I've set up with a 12V pump with a hose going into the tank but
it's far from ideal. I've tried pouring water in using a funnel. Now I
reckon my best bet might be to set up a siphon and try to get it to
trickle in.

CAK tanks do additional tanks.

Can't remember their website.

Nick

Old April 28th 05, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
[email protected]

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 20:38:30 +0100, "JB"
wrote:

I tend to bring a car with me so when I set up camp I can leave it set up.
Saves on Diesel as well.

The problem is that I end up moving just to get to the tap to fill the tank.
To get around this I'm trying just about everything I can.

So far I've set up with a 12V pump with a hose going into the tank but it's
far from ideal. I've tried pouring water in using a funnel. Now I reckon
my best bet might be to set up a siphon and try to get it to trickle in.

What do people on here do to fill their motor caravan's fresh water tanks?
Does everyone move their 'van or is there some super secret solution nobody
has told me about?

I have two 25 litre plastic jerry cans which I can carry to the tap
using the wastemaster wheeled waste tank and bungee cord to hold them
on ..

To fill my motorcaravan tank I have a Whale submersible pump
(model 881, 12 litres a minute= 2 minutes to transfer from jerry can
to tank). with a hose on the pump outlet which is long enough to go
from the jerry can into the filler of the van tank. Using a 12v
extension lead at the moment to power the pump from the either the
vehicle battery or the leisure battery. Will be putting a 12v socket
inside the toilet cassette compartment which is on the water filler
side of the van.

Works very well for us but there is only two of us.

Make sure you buy a submersible type of pump not an in-line pump.

Have a look at Towsure

........http://www.towsure.com/default.asp?d=0&t=530&p=0&op=

First site we used after setting this system up, we parked close to a
tap so it was not needed!!