Alloy Wheels ?

Old April 17th 05, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Steve[_8_]

Default Alloy Wheels ?

Other than the stud pattern and size what considerations need to be made
before swapping van wheels to alloys. I'm hoping to get some second hand. Is
there any sites that give info on the web?

Old April 17th 05, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Doug Deedman

If my experience with alloys on my two most recent cars is anything to go
by, then you need a small brush, lots of patience and lots of spare time to
keep the damned things clean. More importantly, you may well find that your
elegant new alloys are a bas**rd to remove when you have to do so. These
wheels are often a machine tight fit on the hubs and trying to beat one off
to change a flat while your van is raised on a jack is not a pleasant
prospect.

Doug
Old April 18th 05, 08:33 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
John Sangwin[_2_]

In message dated Sun, 17 Apr 2005, Steve wrote:

Other than the stud pattern and size what considerations need to be made
before swapping van wheels to alloys. I'm hoping to get some second hand. Is
there any sites that give info on the web?

Most important consideration is that you get alloys suitable for
commercial vehicles. Whilst a car type may "fit" they are unlikely to be
capable of carrying the extra weights.

Another point is the amount of "offset", which I would describe as being
the way in which the wheel rim overhangs the stud fixings. Also the
clearance of brake discs and wheel hubs is a must.

Good luck

Old April 18th 05, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Asolepius[_2_]

"Steve" wrote in message
Other than the stud pattern and size what considerations need to be made
before swapping van wheels to alloys. I'm hoping to get some second hand.
Is
there any sites that give info on the web?

If and when you make the change, I would be interested to hear whether you
can detect any difference other than cosmetic. Theoretically alloys should
improve the ride and the cornering. The latter is probably academic, but
most MHs have pretty agricultural suspension (ie hard!), with big heavy
steel wheels. Reducing unsprung weight should be a good thing.

Old April 18th 05, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
John Sangwin[_2_]

In message dated Mon, 18 Apr 2005, Asolepius wrote:

Other than the stud pattern and size what considerations need to be made
before swapping van wheels to alloys. I'm hoping to get some second hand.
Is
there any sites that give info on the web?

If and when you make the change, I would be interested to hear whether you
can detect any difference other than cosmetic. Theoretically alloys should
improve the ride and the cornering. The latter is probably academic, but
most MHs have pretty agricultural suspension (ie hard!), with big heavy
steel wheels. Reducing unsprung weight should be a good thing.

You are perfectly correct in your theory, I changed from steel to alloys
on my Hymer and I could not detect any difference.
I made the change to improve payload, but the weight difference was
negligible.

John

Old April 19th 05, 01:45 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Alan Morris

"Steve" wrote in message
Other than the stud pattern and size what considerations need to be made
before swapping van wheels to alloys. I'm hoping to get some second hand.

Is
there any sites that give info on the web?

If you intend keeping the MH for may years, you will eventually have to pump
up your tyres once a week.

As the rims get old the seal starts to fail and the only permanent way to
solve this problem is to remove tyres, sand blast and paint the rims.

I'll never buy another motor with alloy wheels.

Alan

Old April 21st 05, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
SandS

"Alan Morris" wrote in message
"Steve" wrote in message
Other than the stud pattern and size what considerations need
to be made
before swapping van wheels to alloys. I'm hoping to get some
second hand.

Is
there any sites that give info on the web?

If you intend keeping the MH for may years, you will eventually
have to pump
up your tyres once a week.

As the rims get old the seal starts to fail and the only
permanent way to
solve this problem is to remove tyres, sand blast and paint the
rims.

I'll never buy another motor with alloy wheels.

Alan

Couldn't you just fit tubes ?

Old April 22nd 05, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Technophobe

"Steve" wrote in message
Other than the stud pattern and size what considerations need to be made
before swapping van wheels to alloys. I'm hoping to get some second
hand.

Is
there any sites that give info on the web?

If you intend keeping the MH for may years, you will eventually have to
pump
up your tyres once a week.

As the rims get old the seal starts to fail and the only permanent way to
solve this problem is to remove tyres, sand blast and paint the rims.

I'll never buy another motor with alloy wheels.

Alan

Couldn't you just fit tubes ?
Well I cant say I had any trouble.

I have had alloys on my last 2 MH,s and they have been fine.
I just recently had a Swift recall to change wrongly fitted valves and the
tyre man said he may have to hammer them off, but it was not the case
luckily. When replacing the wheels he smeared some slippery copper goo on to
make sure they do not stick agin. The problem is the Ally "grows" into the
iron hub material after a while when it eventually rusts.
The van is now 2 yrs old and I have had no probs keeping them clean. Mind
you the spoke pattern is a wide one.
I store the van in a warehouse over winter and one tyre lost 10lbs and the
others lost none.
Dave

Old April 26th 05, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
ROBIN DUMPLETON

Get the "copper goo" off the alloys asap, copper slip reacts with alloy
wheels causing severe corrosion. Also do not use copper slip on wheel studs
as eventally the corrosion will allow the wheels to literally fall off.

Robin

Old May 8th 05, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Technophobe

Oh it might not have been copper stuff, I just thought it was cos that what
it used to be in the old days. B4 alloys. As it was a national tyre fitting
group I thought they should know what they were up to. But it is a good
point and I will call them to check.
Ta for your comment....Dave