Ferry Websites

Old April 18th 05, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
cubastreet

Default Ferry Websites

Hi,
I'm planning on crossing over to europe in may for 3-4 months in the
van. can anybody recommend websites to book tickets? last time I
searched I got lots of sites with little information.

is dover-calais the cheapest route?

also is it generally cheaper to book a return ticket or is it not much
different to get 2 singles?

thanks,
Jeremy
Old April 18th 05, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
AH

I have just done the rounds of looking for the best price and eventually
came back to the P&O website, it was 169 for an open return for a 10 metre
american van, going out July 31st.

The other site I have used is ferrysavers.com (or .co.uk sorry I cant
remember which).

Dover - Calais is by far the cheapest way we have found, we usually cross
around 9 - 10pm (Dover - Calais) to get benefit of cheap fares and then
sleep on the port at Calais (its safe and loads of others there) then get a
good set off the next morning.

Hope that helps

Old April 18th 05, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
John Sangwin[_2_]

In message dated Mon, 18 Apr 2005, Jeremy wrote:

I'm planning on crossing over to europe in may for 3-4 months in the
van. can anybody recommend websites to book tickets? last time I
searched I got lots of sites with little information.
is dover-calais the cheapest route?

I think that you may find that Norfolk Line, from Dover to Dunkerque is
normally cheapest.

http://travel.norfolkline.com/

also is it generally cheaper to book a return ticket or is it not much
different to get 2 singles?

I have always found that a return is cheaper.

John

Old April 18th 05, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Ralph

"cubastreet" wrote in message
Hi,
I'm planning on crossing over to europe in may for 3-4 months in the van.
can anybody recommend websites to book tickets? last time I searched I got
lots of sites with little information.

is dover-calais the cheapest route?

also is it generally cheaper to book a return ticket or is it not much
different to get 2 singles?

thanks,
Jeremy

What size van?
If it's under 2m wide than you can use Speedferries
http://www.speedferries.com where a crossing for a van is just 85 return
but if it's wider than that you'll need a "proper" ferry.
I did see a Hymer A class on Speedferries last year but now that they are
getting more full I guess they will be sticking to the size limits.

Old April 18th 05, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy_R

"cubastreet" wrote in message
Hi,
I'm planning on crossing over to europe in may for 3-4 months in the van.
can anybody recommend websites to book tickets? last time I searched I got
lots of sites with little information.

is dover-calais the cheapest route?

also is it generally cheaper to book a return ticket or is it not much
different to get 2 singles?

I don't know if the offer's still on but for a 6m camper I got 61 one way
with eurotunnel outbound and return with Norfolk Line for 44

Another good offer is with Tesco vouchers if you get them, 80 worth of
vouchers gets you a return on Eurotunnel at a sensible time of day.

Rgds

Andy R

Old April 21st 05, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
David Klyne

"cubastreet" wrote in message
Hi,
I'm planning on crossing over to europe in may for 3-4 months in the
van. can anybody recommend websites to book tickets? last time I
searched I got lots of sites with little information.

is dover-calais the cheapest route?

also is it generally cheaper to book a return ticket or is it not much
different to get 2 singles?

thanks,

Jeremy

Have you not tried either of the two clubs? They usually offered some pretty
competitive deals although a lot of the offer deadlines have now past.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk

Old April 25th 05, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
cubastreet

OK thanks guys, that should get me sorted. The van's an ambulance, it's
2.2m wide, 6.9m long and it's running on LPG so the tunnel's not an option.
Jeremy.
Old April 28th 05, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
[email protected]

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:40:42 +0100, cubastreet
wrote:

OK thanks guys, that should get me sorted. The van's an ambulance, it's
2.2m wide, 6.9m long and it's running on LPG so the tunnel's not an option.
Jeremy.

Just had a look at Norfolk Line for my van 7.2 mtrs long and 3400kg

1700hrs 29 july out/ 21.30hrs 29august back Dover/Dunkerque

You can also play around with departure times without going through
the full entry page.

Price was 91 which is at least half the price we were expecting to
pay when doing cost estimates prior to buying the van.

Old June 29th 05, 07:55 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
ramsgateostend

If you're going east (Belgium, Holland, Germany) or Italy & south
try Transeuropa Ferries

www.transeuropaferries.co.uk

Old July 3rd 05, 02:09 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
ROBIN DUMPLETON

How do they do it?
I just saved 50% on a five day return to Ireland, didn't like the 51/2 hr
drive to Stranraer.

Robin

"ramsgateostend" wrote in
message ...