Any Electrical wiz's about?

Old April 29th 05, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Barleycorn

Default Any Electrical wiz's about?

Hello all,

Just wanting a bit of advice, please.

Have just bought a singing and dancing DAB / CD mp3 radio for the van. I
would like to wire it up to the leisure battery to avoid flattening the
starter battery as it draws 10 amps. I realise that I will have to connect
both the 'permanent supply' and the 'ignition' terminals to the leisure
battery, but will it be safe to leave the 'sidelight' connection on the
lighting circuit, (from the starter battery), or could this cause a conflict
inside the radio?

TIA, Barleycorn.

Old April 30th 05, 07:50 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
mrcheerful .

"Barleycorn" wrote in message
Hello all,

Just wanting a bit of advice, please.

Have just bought a singing and dancing DAB / CD mp3 radio for the van. I
would like to wire it up to the leisure battery to avoid flattening the
starter battery as it draws 10 amps. I realise that I will have to
connect
both the 'permanent supply' and the 'ignition' terminals to the leisure
battery, but will it be safe to leave the 'sidelight' connection on the
lighting circuit, (from the starter battery), or could this cause a
conflict
inside the radio?

TIA, Barleycorn.

that will be ok as the earth side is common, I doubt if it will take even
one amp when running though. you might want to put a switch in the ign side
connection as some radios keep the display lit when the power is on (the
sidelight connection dims the display )

mrcheerful

Old April 30th 05, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Alan Holmes

"Barleycorn" wrote in message
Hello all,

Just wanting a bit of advice, please.

Have just bought a singing and dancing DAB / CD mp3 radio for the van. I
would like to wire it up to the leisure battery to avoid flattening the
starter battery as it draws 10 amps. I realise that I will have to
connect
both the 'permanent supply' and the 'ignition' terminals to the leisure
battery, but will it be safe to leave the 'sidelight' connection on the
lighting circuit, (from the starter battery), or could this cause a
conflict
inside the radio?

I think you should have put more thought into the power consumption before
buying this gadget.

It will flaten the leisure battery in about 6 hours, which will leave you
with no lighting or other facilities run from the leisure battery.

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

TIA, Barleycorn.

Old April 30th 05, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
CampinGazz

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

[...]

I'd guess the 10 amp rating is what's on the makers plate.. where it means
the absolute maximum the unit will draw... if it has any kind og active bass
type sound, then having that active will be the main source of the high
power consumption.. listen to it at non deafening leavels and it'll prolly
pull an amp or 2,

Then again we don't know what battery bank the OP has, could be a single
piddely 85AH battery, or it could be a string of battereis.. i have 4 x
115AH batteries for my leisure battery bank now, a 10 amp load on a 460AH
battery bank isn't that much of a problem,

Anyway. the OP could put in a couple of suitable rated relays to get round
the ignition switch on and the side light bit, thus keeping the 2 battery
systems seperate.. that's prolly the biggest problem of trying to run an
item from one battery, but have something on it switched from another
battery.. could provide a path to like the 2 battereis inadvertently,

on a standard split charge type system you'll just end up draining both
batteries when the radio is on if that's the case.. if i were to do that on
my motorhome i'd pop one or both of the alternators if the engine was
running while i was listening to the radio, (got a 2nd alternator that
charges just the leisure battery bank on my engine)

Old May 3rd 05, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Barleycorn

Thanks for the advice. I have decided to 'play safe' and will wire it up
with the permanent connection straight to the leisure battery, and connect
the ignition and sidelights to it also, through relays energised by the
ignition and lighting circuit. It was rather too expensive to see it do a
Del Boy!!

Thanks again, Barleycorn.

Old May 5th 05, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Nick \(Scots\)

"Barleycorn" wrote in message
.. .
Thanks for the advice. I have decided to 'play safe' and will wire it up
with the permanent connection straight to the leisure battery, and connect
the ignition and sidelights to it also, through relays energised by the
ignition and lighting circuit. It was rather too expensive to see it do a
Del Boy!!

Don't the original post but caution and use diodes to avoid
draining the car battery.

Nick