23.5 MPG Average 2.0JTD diesel

Old May 8th 05, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Bendy Bhindy

Default 23.5 MPG Average 2.0JTD diesel

My 21 ft 2.0JTD Ducato coach built with overhead cab returns a consistent
23.5mpg - which is a bit disappointing.
However, I must admit that most of the driving tends to be long slogs on
motorways at around 70mph.
I do find driving a lot slower a little boring but appreciate that if I were
to average 60mph or slightly less things would improve with my aerodynamic
brick..
Is the MPG I am getting reasonable in the circumstances.
I think that for a true comparison of figures that others of you should have
the same sized vehicle with an overhead cab bed set-up.

Old May 8th 05, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
JB

"Bendy Bhindy" wrote in message
.. .
My 21 ft 2.0JTD Ducato coach built with overhead cab returns a consistent
23.5mpg - which is a bit disappointing.
However, I must admit that most of the driving tends to be long slogs on
motorways at around 70mph.
I do find driving a lot slower a little boring but appreciate that if I
were to average 60mph or slightly less things would improve with my
aerodynamic brick..
Is the MPG I am getting reasonable in the circumstances.
I think that for a true comparison of figures that others of you should
have the same sized vehicle with an overhead cab bed set-up.

How are you calculating the MPG? Is it by amount of distance against amount
of fuel you add? My car has a built in MPG gauge but I keep forgetting to
check the number of litres in my 'van.

Old May 8th 05, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy_R

"Bendy Bhindy" wrote in message
.. .
My 21 ft 2.0JTD Ducato coach built with overhead cab returns a consistent
23.5mpg - which is a bit disappointing.
However, I must admit that most of the driving tends to be long slogs on
motorways at around 70mph.
I do find driving a lot slower a little boring but appreciate that if I
were to average 60mph or slightly less things would improve with my
aerodynamic brick..
Is the MPG I am getting reasonable in the circumstances.
I think that for a true comparison of figures that others of you should
have the same sized vehicle with an overhead cab bed set-up.

Sounds about right. I've got a 2.8JTD and a light that comes on when the
fuel gets low, I call it the fifty quid light cos that's how much diesel it
takes to fill it just after the light comes on. Speed makes a big
difference, doing 70-80 mph the light comes on after about 280 miles but
doing 55-60 mph the light doesn't come on til about 340 miles.

Conveniently the light automatically compensates for driving in France, it
comes on when it wants about 50 Euros of diesel instead of 50 quid:-)

Rgds

Andy R

Old May 8th 05, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Bendy Bhindy

Brim to brim each fill at the same petrol station if at all possible -
calculation is based on the amount used.

Old May 8th 05, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
David Tegerdine

On Sun, 8 May 2005 11:45:30 +0100, "Bendy Bhindy"
wrote:

My 21 ft 2.0JTD Ducato coach built with overhead cab returns a consistent
23.5mpg - which is a bit disappointing.
However, I must admit that most of the driving tends to be long slogs on
motorways at around 70mph.
I do find driving a lot slower a little boring but appreciate that if I were
to average 60mph or slightly less things would improve with my aerodynamic
brick..
Is the MPG I am getting reasonable in the circumstances.
I think that for a true comparison of figures that others of you should have
the same sized vehicle with an overhead cab bed set-up.

My 2.0JTD-based 20ft van with overhead cab achieves much the same. I
found driving really gently only gave a couple of extra mpg.

Old May 8th 05, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Bendy Bhindy

Thank you all for your responses - seems like my motorhome is pretty much
the same as everybody else's. If you look on Google the various hire firms
quote up to 30 mpg for my sized vehicle - I don't think so!!

Old May 8th 05, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
CampinGazz

"Bendy Bhindy" wrote in message
.. .
Thank you all for your responses - seems like my motorhome is pretty much
the same as everybody else's. If you look on Google the various hire

firms
quote up to 30 mpg for my sized vehicle - I don't think so!!

You prolly can get 30 mpg out of them.. if you drive everywhere at 30 mph
that they expect motorhome owners to do

i've got a self built coachbuilt.. 7 meters long, 2.15 wide, 3 meter high,
luton area overhangs the windscreen by about 7 inches,

base vehicle is a 1996 iveco turbodaily, with the 2.8 litre TDI engine.. no
electronics at all on it, purely mechanical injection, timing and so on, as
long as it's got fuel it'll run.. even with 7 volts in the battery i kept on
running when my alternator died once.

My van weighs in at 3.3 tons when ready to go camping, we almost always tow
a motorbike on a trailer.. that weighs a good 250 plus kilos,

If i drive at 70 mph or above i'll be re-filling at 270 or so miles, about
21mpg,
if i keep to 60 on motorways, 50 on other roads, i'll goto 340 to 350 before
needing to re-fill, about 24 to 25 mpg then,

When in france on the real diesel (proper sulphur content) we get a lot
better performance out of the engine, and i got 23 to 24 mpg from driving at
80 on the autoroutes, and the max speed limit on all other roads.

Only mod i've done to my engine is fit an intercooler, also put a second
alternator on it to charge just the leisure battery bank.. so that takes a
few hp out of the engine when the batteries are flat,
but i don't think my mpg figures are that bad.. especialy when you consider
my engine is of the old technology type.. no electronics to adjust things to
get the most out of the fuel it uses and keep everything in tune all the
time,

Also my engine's got about 10k miles on the clock, i had a fully
re-manufactured engine fitted just after i bought the van (not my choice
mind.. but you can't guess when an engine is going to eat an exhaust valve)
so my enging is no where near run in, and my mpg figures will keep getting
better as i've noted in the year i've been using it.

Old May 9th 05, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Nick \(Scots\)

"Bendy Bhindy" wrote in message
.. .
My 21 ft 2.0JTD Ducato coach built with overhead cab returns a consistent
23.5mpg - which is a bit disappointing.

Try running at a low fill of your water tank. Empty the waste water tank
totally.
Take a smaller fuel bottle. Take less heavy 'junk'.

Make a few miles dff.

Nick