beginning

Old May 15th 05, 12:08 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Alan Peacock

Default beginning

Hi,
we are just considering either a motorhome or a caravan. Although it would
only be for two of us space is important. We would like a fixed bed but my
wife has hip trouble and can't easily climb into the higher level beds on
the vans we have seen. Do any manufacturers make a normal height fixed bed
that still gives the storage space that the higher beds have with the garage
models?
Do the longer motorhomes have stability problems because of the extra
length beyond the rear axle?
Should we forget motorhomes and go for a caravan instead?
Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks
Alan & Ann Peacock.

Old May 18th 05, 07:44 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
[email protected]

On Sun, 15 May 2005 00:08:55 +0000 (UTC), "Alan Peacock"
wrote:

Hi,
we are just considering either a motorhome or a caravan. Although it would
only be for two of us space is important. We would like a fixed bed but my
wife has hip trouble and can't easily climb into the higher level beds on
the vans we have seen. Do any manufacturers make a normal height fixed bed
that still gives the storage space that the higher beds have with the garage
models?
Do the longer motorhomes have stability problems because of the extra
length beyond the rear axle?
Should we forget motorhomes and go for a caravan instead?
Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks
Alan & Ann Peacock.

There are several with fixed beds at normal height. Lunar Roadstar 786
in the April edition of Motorcaravan and Motorhome Monthly (MMM) is
one example. AutoTrail have the Apache (Ithink) many others
available.

Brownhills on the A1 at Newark have a vast range of new and secondhand
vans for example, although we found our van elsewhere.

We spent two years looking for what we wanted and ended up with a 1998
Elddis Autostratus 6 berth with end lounge which converts to a very
large double bed. Also has the option of converting the dinette to a
double.

We thought of the fixed bed option also but feel that convertible
lounge is more flexible. We also found that the fixed beds were too
short for me (6'2'') and not slim!!

Strongly recommend MMM and also you must try the bed together in the
showroom. Being unable to sleep comfortably when camping is okay for
the SAS but not for those, like us , "of a certain age"!!!

Old May 18th 05, 08:56 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Alan Peacock

Thanks for the reply. We will keep looking. Size is important as neither of
us is small. We have found one or two caravans that would be suitable and
cheaper probably but the lure of a motorhome is strong forreasons I don't
really understand.
Alan & Ann Peacock.

Old May 20th 05, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Tony Shelley

wrote:

[...]

For what it's worth, we've tried most things; small VW-style campers, a
Bailey twin axle caravan, tents and, most recently, a Conway folding camper.

They are all a compromise but also all have their good points. Any of the
canvas options have the obvious drawback of the wet pack up which has put us
off for good now.

The caravan was v.nice but it had 2 main drawbacks, towing was not pleasant
for me as I think I have a little too much mechanical sympathy and kept
thinking what could go wong. The other problem was storage so we got rid of
that too.

We're now (nearly) owners of a new Compass small coachbuilt and this seems
to be the perfect compromise for us two, just pull up and sleep. No packing
up to speak of and the ability to stay with the HGV's if we have to. Ask us
again in a few years time and hopefully the benefits will still outweigh the
drawbacks. We've gone for the rear lounge option as this has a decent size
bed and leaves the kitchen and toilet accessible for the first one up.

Hope this helps

Tony & Debs