Roof fitting to pass 12 volts through van roof from solar panel.

Old May 18th 05, 07:03 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
[email protected]

Default Roof fitting to pass 12 volts through van roof from solar panel.

I have been experimenting with a small solar panel (cheepie!) on the
roof of my motorcaravan. Installation of the panel was straightforward
because there are roof bars for a top box and I fettled a simple mount
with aluminium channel attached to these.

I was lucky that there was a co-ax cable through the roof for a tv
aerial which I did not want so I used a cable gland and sealant to
pass the 12v from the panel to the internal connections.

Problem is that it is practical but messy and unproffessional.

Does anyone know of an "official" fitting to pass the cable through
the roof neatly.

I do have a backup plan but prefer "official " fittings with an eye
on resale value.

I have seen proper "pass through fittings for aerial cable but not for
12 volts from a solar panel.

Old May 18th 05, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Bob Douglas

wrote in message

I have been experimenting with a small solar panel (cheepie!) on the
roof of my motorcaravan. Installation of the panel was straightforward
because there are roof bars for a top box and I fettled a simple mount
with aluminium channel attached to these.

I was lucky that there was a co-ax cable through the roof for a tv
aerial which I did not want so I used a cable gland and sealant to
pass the 12v from the panel to the internal connections.

Problem is that it is practical but messy and unproffessional.

Does anyone know of an "official" fitting to pass the cable through
the roof neatly.

I do have a backup plan but prefer "official " fittings with an eye
on resale value.

I have seen proper "pass through fittings for aerial cable but not for
12 volts from a solar panel.

CAK Tanks do these and all sorts of ancillary fittings (brackets, regulators
etc.) for solar panels etc. (around 20ukp in my out of date catalogue)

Their catalogue holds a wealth of fittings and accessories for all aspects
of motorhoming (and is therefore worth getting hold of).

There have been various comments on their responsiveness on the group, but
also a good number of recommendations.

I have had no reason to complain in my dealings.

www.caktanks.co.uk for outline details.

Bob
--
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00

Old May 19th 05, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
[email protected]

On Wed, 18 May 2005 10:43:21 +0100, "Bob Douglas"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Thanks Bob , I knew about their water systems equipment but had not
heard about electrical fittings. Ordered catalogue okay.

John
Old May 19th 05, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
[email protected]

On Wed, 18 May 2005 08:49:01 +0100, Tone wrote:

On Wed, 18 May 2005 07:03:11 GMT, wrote:

I have been experimenting with a small solar panel (cheepie!) on the
roof of my motorcaravan. Installation of the panel was straightforward
because there are roof bars for a top box and I fettled a simple mount
with aluminium channel attached to these.

I was lucky that there was a co-ax cable through the roof for a tv
aerial which I did not want so I used a cable gland and sealant to
pass the 12v from the panel to the internal connections.

Problem is that it is practical but messy and unproffessional.

Does anyone know of an "official" fitting to pass the cable through
the roof neatly.

I do have a backup plan but prefer "official " fittings with an eye
on resale value.

I have seen proper "pass through fittings for aerial cable but not for
12 volts from a solar panel.

Just use an aerial cable connection. 12 volts isnt going to hurt it.

Tone

Yes they are capable of taking a couple of amps but even the best tv
coax plugs are not that reliable and are almost impossible to solder
without damage. In fact tv coax plugs are not designed for solder.

Using PL259 co-ax connectors would be a better idea if going the coax
route. They have better insulation (mechanically stronger) . I use
them on my amateur radio antenna sealed with self amalgamating tape.
The real issue is neatness and standardisation for when and if the van
is sold.

Thanks for the input

John

Old May 19th 05, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Greg[_3_]

Deck cable glands from your local chandlery may offer a tidy solution.

e.g.
http://www.force4.co.uk/acatalog/Onl...ockets_23.html

I would also steer well clear of TV Co-Ax connectors for this application.

Greg.

Old May 20th 05, 07:14 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
[email protected]

On Thu, 19 May 2005 21:54:30 +0000 (UTC), "Greg"
wrote:

Deck cable glands from your local chandlery may offer a tidy solution.

e.g.
http://www.force4.co.uk/acatalog/Onl...ockets_23.html

I would also steer well clear of TV Co-Ax connectors for this application.

Greg.

Greg
Thanks for the input . I had thought of a chandler as a supplier but
decided to search for an official caravan item. However after giving
some thought to the problem I am going to look into your suggestion.
I live near Huntingdon and the boatyards there may well be able to
help.

Thanks for the suggestion.

John
Old May 23rd 05, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
[email protected]

CAK Tanks do these and all sorts of ancillary fittings (brackets, regulators
etc.) for solar panels etc. (around 20ukp in my out of date catalogue)

Their catalogue holds a wealth of fittings and accessories for all aspects
of motorhoming (and is therefore worth getting hold of).

Thanks Bob . CAK catalogue arrived today. Got what I need and given me
ideas for other improvement projecsts for the winter!!

John
Old May 24th 05, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Bob Douglas

wrote in message
CAK Tanks do these and all sorts of ancillary fittings (brackets,
regulators
etc.) for solar panels etc. (around 20ukp in my out of date catalogue)

Their catalogue holds a wealth of fittings and accessories for all aspects
of motorhoming (and is therefore worth getting hold of).

Thanks Bob . CAK catalogue arrived today. Got what I need and given me
ideas for other improvement projecsts for the winter!!

John

Time and money.....

......you're probably going to regret me telling you about it!

Seriously though, I picked mine up a show, and was surprised to see the
range of items.

Bob

Old May 26th 05, 07:25 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
[email protected]

On Tue, 24 May 2005 22:03:49 +0100, "Bob Douglas"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
CAK Tanks do these and all sorts of ancillary fittings (brackets,
regulators
etc.) for solar panels etc. (around 20ukp in my out of date catalogue)

Their catalogue holds a wealth of fittings and accessories for all aspects
of motorhoming (and is therefore worth getting hold of).

Thanks Bob . CAK catalogue arrived today. Got what I need and given me
ideas for other improvement projecsts for the winter!!

John

Time and money.....

.....you're probably going to regret me telling you about it!

Seriously though, I picked mine up a show, and was surprised to see the
range of items.

Bob

No problem Bob the "Domestic Engineer" is very organised, money wise!!
This is fortunate because I am always coming up with "interesting"
projects.

John