Bedouin Talbot

Old May 22nd 05, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Gareth Williams

Default Bedouin Talbot

Hello All,
I bought the above motorhome recently ,and took it on its
maiden voyage yesterday,(maiden for me not the van ). After about 15mins of
travelling my son started complaining about the smell in the back, anyway we
pulled over and discovered that the smell was exhaust fumes has anyone
encountered this problem before ,and how was it resolved? by the way the
exhaust pipe comes out, on the offside off the van.

Thanks

Old May 22nd 05, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Springtime

All Fiat & Peugeot vans have the exhaust coming out of the side.
I've had 3 Fiat's but never encountered this problem.
How old is the van - is the engine in good condition or is it burning oil.
On worn engines it is not uncommon for the oil fumes to enter the vehicle.
However, I suspect that the fumes are making their way in via a vent
somewhere.
Usually there are vents in the gas locker which should be sealed from the
main van, a vent in the entry door & vents behind the fridge. Again the
fridge should be sealed around the back so that nothing can get into the
living quarters - however, on some older coachbuilts this was often not done
properly or perhaps the previous owner did not reseal after maintenance.
Check these areas and perhaps the door & window seals.
Another thought, is the smell exhaust fumes or is there something burning on
the exhaust e.g.. underseal, or a polythene carrier bag that you have driven
over has got stuck to the hot exhaust?

SH

Old May 22nd 05, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Gareth Williams

the van is 1990, only been to garage last week for emissions test,results
were perfect 48,000 on clock. no debris on exhaust and fridge is on nearside

Old May 22nd 05, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Gareth Williams

cheers, SH, You have just jogged my memory there is a hole in the gas bottle
box which leeds under the seats, its about 1/4 inch size do you think that
could be it ?

Old May 22nd 05, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
techno

"Gareth Williams" wrote in message
Hello All,
I bought the above motorhome recently ,and took it on its
maiden voyage yesterday,(maiden for me not the van ). After about 15mins

of
travelling my son started complaining about the smell in the back, anyway

we
pulled over and discovered that the smell was exhaust fumes has anyone
encountered this problem before ,and how was it resolved? by the way the
exhaust pipe comes out, on the offside off the van.

Thanks

I've had same probs.

Make sure door seals are good on the back door/s

Driving with front windows open will exasperate the problem, as whilst you
feel your getting loads of air, your actually causing a vacuum in the van,
hence the fumes being sucked in.

Do check and seal all holes in the back. With regards to your gas locker,
yep leave the dropout hole open, but seal any holes into the living space.

hth