1st time in france

Old May 23rd 05, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
ken

Default 1st time in france

Hi,

Could any-one recommend a safe, stop over campsite near Calais? We just need
one night for 2 motorhomes before we set of on our 1st adventure into the
rest of France.

Ken

Old May 23rd 05, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Bob Douglas

"ken" wrote in message
Hi,

Could any-one recommend a safe, stop over campsite near Calais? We just
need
one night for 2 motorhomes before we set of on our 1st adventure into the
rest of France.

Ken

Ken,

there have been various recommendations over the years. Others will post
theirs I'm sure.

Camping St Louis at Autignes (near Ardres and less than ten miles away) is
an overnight favourite of ours heading back for the ferry. It's in a quiet
village with little else around.

If, however, you want to have something to do on your first evening, I
would recommend the municipal (Fontaine des Clercs?) at Montreuil-sur-Mer.
A bit further away on the far side of Boulogne, but Montreuil is an
attractive, walled town, with decent shops, restaurants and bars, and the
site is just outside the walls with an easy walk in from the top of the
site. Lots of hard standing.

Bob
--
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00

Old May 23rd 05, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Nigel

"ken" wrote in message
Hi,

Could any-one recommend a safe, stop over campsite near Calais? We just

need
one night for 2 motorhomes before we set of on our 1st adventure into the
rest of France.

Ken

Try:

http://www.camping-bien-assise.fr/

Not too far from Calais.

Nigel.

Old May 23rd 05, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
DaveK

If, however, you want to have something to do on your first evening, I
would recommend the municipal (Fontaine des Clercs?) at Montreuil-sur-Mer.
A bit further away on the far side of Boulogne, but Montreuil is an
attractive, walled town, with decent shops, restaurants and bars, and the
site is just outside the walls with an easy walk in from the top of the
site.

Agincourt (they call it Azincourt) is nearby. You may wish to make the
visit.
Probably the crappiest diorama and display of an historical event in the
world. Mind you they came second, so maybe they don't feel the need. It's
only a couple of years old and they proudly display an award from the French
historical sites organisation despite the fact that all you see is a couple
of knights in armour, yacking away with faces illuminated from a projector
(that's about the best of it). A diorama table with images of shields to
depict the opposing sides and....technological masterpiece, a battery of
Kodak projectors clicking and banging away as the shields wander up and
down.
There is also a heavy sack hanging from a pulley which you can heave on to
simulate the amount of energy required to draw an English longbow.
Drive right past the 'attraction' and you come to a T junction- the
battlefield is opposite with opposing ranks of turnips.
DaveK.

Old May 23rd 05, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Bob Douglas

"Bob Douglas" wrote in message
snip.

Camping St Louis at Autignes (near Ardres and less than ten miles away) is
an overnight favourite of ours heading back for the ferry. It's in a quiet
village with little else around.

Oops, should have been *Autingues* (www.campingstlouis.com)

Bob

Old May 25th 05, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
ken

Thank you for your replies. Wifey has decided on Bob's favourite, camping
St. Louis.

ken

Old May 25th 05, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Bob Douglas

"ken" wrote in message
Thank you for your replies. Wifey has decided on Bob's favourite, camping
St. Louis.

ken

Ken,

Hope it works for you. I first got it out of the Michelin guide.

We have never booked (and usually arrive reasonably late - before taking
early ferry back to UK next day). Like most French sites, however, it
*could* be busy mid July to mid August. Last used it late August last year.

Perfectly adequate for overnight and reasonably priced. We particularly like
the 'green' setting. Usually got a fair few Brits on first or last night
away.

If you don't book, there are a number of other sites (signposted) in the
near vicinity as a fall-back.

Bob