Sleeping on roadside in the UK

Old May 25th 05, 06:33 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
jstolz

Default Sleeping on roadside in the UK

What are the rules relating to parking and sleeping in your motorhome
in the UK?

Thanks

Old May 25th 05, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Tom

Technically illegal
BUT
You could always say that you were feeling so tired that you felt
yourself unable to continue driving safely so stopped to sleep.
If the Bill tries to move you on tell him thats fine so long as he
will be responsible for any accidents caused by you when you have
told him you are too tired to continue.

Best not to take advantage though except in an emergency i.e dog tired or
sick, otherwise it will only give us a bad name, find a legitimate camp site
and pay up, after all if everybody took the above advice the lay-byes would
be full and there would be no room for the genuine emergency.
Tom

Old May 25th 05, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy R

"jstolz" wrote in message
What are the rules relating to parking and sleeping in your motorhome
in the UK?

I don't know the actual rules but bearing in mind the hundreds of lorry
drivers who spend the night in laybys I wouldn't worry about it.

We usually find a village a mile or two off the main road, they've nearly
always got a village hall, and we park in their car park.

Rgds

Andy R

Old May 25th 05, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
DaveK

"Tone" wrote in message
On 25 May 2005 06:33:07 GMT, "jstolz"
wrote:

What are the rules relating to parking and sleeping in your motorhome
in the UK?

Thanks

Technically illegal

It's part of the highway so you are causing an obstruction. Have done it on
occasion and not been bothered.
Try it on a motorway service area and a jobsworth will be knocking on your
door to scrounge a fee.
DaveK.

Old May 25th 05, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
JB

wrote:

What are the rules relating to parking and sleeping in your motorhome
in the UK?

Thanks

Technically illegal

It's part of the highway so you are causing an obstruction. Have done it
on occasion and not been bothered.
Try it on a motorway service area and a jobsworth will be knocking on your
door to scrounge a fee.
DaveK.

I guess that's not true in areas where unlimited parking is allowed. For
instance some parking bays say "no overnight parking" but some don't (even
on the same road).

Old May 26th 05, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
JB

"Tone" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 May 2005 16:56:29 +0100, "JB"
wrote:

I guess that's not true in areas where unlimited parking is allowed. For
instance some parking bays say "no overnight parking" but some don't (even
on the same road).

Simply because it doesnt state it is allowed doesnt make it right.

You mean morally or legally? Personally speaking it's not my cup of tea,
but I thought that legally anything that isn't against the law is allowed.

Old June 11th 05, 02:52 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Alan Morris

The law for Cat. C drivers limit their hours, which is why you see them
stopped at night on most main roads now.

I can't see any difference between a Cat. C truck and a MH of Cat. C1 or B.

Alan

Old June 20th 05, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Bert[_2_]

Andy R wrote:

We usually find a village a mile or two off the main road, they've nearly
always got a village hall, and we park in their car park.

It's just a matter of time................till we meet in some village
hall carpark that is mate

regards

Bert