size of motorhomes

Old May 25th 05, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
oorak

Default size of motorhomes

Greetings,

Looking to find a motorhome and have seen many sizes, some as wide as 7 feet
7 inches, is this a normal size as UK motorhomes go?

I am new to this, is it advisable go for a named maker or is a
professionally converted model adequate?

I have seen many vehicles with over 120,00 miles on the clock, so I suppose
that must have travelled extensively, but I am thinking that with this
mileage they are surely reaching their retirement days.

Peter

Old May 25th 05, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy R

"oorak" wrote in message
Greetings,

Looking to find a motorhome and have seen many sizes, some as wide as 7
feet 7 inches, is this a normal size as UK motorhomes go?

There's no such thing as 'normal' but I wouldn't say it was unusual.

I am new to this, is it advisable go for a named maker or is a
professionally converted model adequate?

Who knows. There are some very good 'named makers' but there are also some
poor ones. Same with professionally converted, could be good, well made,
easily repairable with common parts or it could be dreadful.

I have seen many vehicles with over 120,00 miles on the clock, so I
suppose that must have travelled extensively, but I am thinking that with
this mileage they are surely reaching their retirement days.

Again, it depends how it's been used. Even a small one is built on
something like a 2.5 Fiat. These regularly get abused by indifferent
drivers for 250000 miles when used as delivery vehicles yet still keep going
so if it's been used as a camper and well looked I don't see a prob.

The really big ones are built on coach type chassis with commercial diesel
engines that should easily see 500000 miles.

Rgds

Andy R

Old May 26th 05, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
oorak

Greetings,

"Andy R" wrote

There are some very good 'named makers' but there are also some poor ones.
Same with professionally converted, could be good, well made, easily
repairable with common parts or it could be dreadful.

Thanks Andy,

Seen the conversion again and am concerned about a 5' 6" overhang over rear
wheels, and I noticed that when we all moved to the dinette at the rear it
dipped rather alarmingly. Is there a formula or laws on rear overhang? this
vehicle has screw jack feet fitted to the rear to support the vehicle. This
vehicle is only a total of 17' 6"

Also I am concrend about the width of the conversion, it is slab fronted
almost 9" each side of the cab, surely this would cause drag at speed and
lower the top speed and increase fuel consumption.

I am considering another one, a Elddis Autoquest but is is the high mileage
one with 127,000 on the clock, interior OK, but there seems to be a lot of
rot under the cab and bonnet, the cill box sections are rotten through.

I have seen some good motoromes but as you are aware they are pricey, I am
trying to start out with something reasonable first to see if we like it,
rather than borrow a lot of money then find we are not keen on the life.

Peter

Old May 26th 05, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy_R

"oorak" wrote in message
Greetings,

"Andy R" wrote

There are some very good 'named makers' but there are also some poor
ones. Same with professionally converted, could be good, well made,
easily repairable with common parts or it could be dreadful.

Thanks Andy,

Seen the conversion again and am concerned about a 5' 6" overhang over
rear wheels, and I noticed that when we all moved to the dinette at the
rear it dipped rather alarmingly. Is there a formula or laws on rear
overhang? this vehicle has screw jack feet fitted to the rear to support
the vehicle. This vehicle is only a total of 17' 6".

Overhang must not exceed 60% of the wheelbase.

Also I am concrend about the width of the conversion, it is slab fronted
almost 9" each side of the cab, surely this would cause drag at speed and
lower the top speed and increase fuel consumption.

Don't expect much more than about 20mpg out of even a modern camper with an
overcab bunk. Sustainable top speed won't be much over about 70mph either
unless it's got a really big engine.

I am considering another one, a Elddis Autoquest but is is the high
mileage one with 127,000 on the clock, interior OK, but there seems to be
a lot of rot under the cab and bonnet, the cill box sections are rotten
through.

It'd better be seriously cheap then (100 quid including full fuel tank and
fridge full of beer) and you'd better be an enthusiastic DIYer

I have seen some good motoromes but as you are aware they are pricey, I am
trying to start out with something reasonable first to see if we like it,
rather than borrow a lot of money then find we are not keen on the life.

Buy privately, dealer's markup on second hand campers seems horrendous to
me.
Maybe buy secondhand in Germany, much cheaper. There are some people around
the group that have done it, it doesn't seem difficult but you'll have to
research it yourself.

Rgds

Andy R

Old May 26th 05, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Bob Douglas

"Andy_R" wrote in message

snip

Overhang must not exceed 60% of the wheelbase.

Been here before. Historically that was so, nowadays the formula (under EU
harmonisation) is more complex.

A number of vans now exceed that by an amount. (Swift group MWB for a start)

Personally, I wouldn't want to go beyond 60% (esp. on MWB base), and would
prefer to be below.

Bob

--
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00

Old May 26th 05, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy_R

"Bob Douglas" wrote in message
"Andy_R" wrote in message

snip

Overhang must not exceed 60% of the wheelbase.

Been here before. Historically that was so, nowadays the formula (under EU
harmonisation) is more complex.

So I gather. As the poster was talking about an oldish van I assumed the
old regs would still apply. It'd be very unusual for new regs to apply
retrospectively although I s'pose anything's possible. I haven't read them
that closely.

Rgds

Andy R

Old May 27th 05, 02:10 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Ken Fairhurst

"Andy R" wrote
snip

Buy privately, dealer's markup on second hand campers seems horrendous to
me.
Rgds
Andy R

Personally I can't agree with that, we looked at several private sales
before we purchased our motorhome,
most were not very clean, some were scruffy and none of the owners would
agree on a lower price, all saying that they were selling at a bargain
price, and no guarantee.
After travelling over sixty miles to view an "immaculate" Eldiss Autoquest
400", which had faded curtains just hanging down with no tie-backs, the
corners of all the cushions were worn through so you could see the sponge
inside, a carpet runner down the centre which did not fit and covered a hole
in the carpet, no gas bottles, 3 months MOT and no road tax, and again no
guarantee that the thing would not fall apart on the way home.
We decided to call at Barrons on our way home, just to have a look round.
One particular motorhome caught our eye, looking through the windows it was
indeed immaculate and just the layout we wanted, even though it was 1,000
more than our budget my wife insisted I get the keys so that we could have a
proper look, it was just what we wanted and it was indeed immaculate, with
many extras including a built in gas tank. Speaking to the salesman, without
any haggling he knocked the 1,000 of the price, plus we got 6 mths road
tax, 12 mths MOT, a full 12 months guarantee, a full service on the vehicle,
a full service on the van and equipment, and a full valet. When they were
doing the service on the van they found that the water heater was not
working efficiently, they replaced it with a new one, also one of the four
burners on the hob was burning yellow instead of blue, they could not get
the parts so replaced that as well. We can use our van with the knowledge
that if anything goes wrong it will be fixed. That is my experience and
opinion.

ATB Ken

Old May 27th 05, 07:36 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy R

"Ken Fairhurst" wrote in message

"Andy R" wrote
snip

[...]

I can't think of a nice way of saying this but to generalise in such a way
makes your argument ********. You could apply the same thing to second hand
cars, motorbikes or anything else. A dealer who expects to make five grand
on a resale can afford to tart up the motors before they go out and his
legal obligations mean the thing's got to be fixed within reason if it
breaks shortly after he sells it to you. From what I can gather from the
above you were looking at oldish motors anyway and the cost to put right the
things you mentioned were minimal. How much of a hole does a new bit of
carpet, a couple of curtain tie backs, some new cushion covers and a calor
gas bottle make in a five grand markup. Not much of one I suspect.

You could fill the rest of this newsgroup with stories of people who've had
good and bad service from dealers and people who've had good and bad
experiences with private sales. Although you can use a dealer's reputation
to decide whether or not to use him you can't tar the entire general public
with the same brush just because you saw a motor with worn out cushions.

Rgds

Andy R

Old May 27th 05, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
oorak

Greetings,

Thanks for your help folks, I am going to give the two motorhomes I have
seen a miss for the time being and keep looking until something more
suitable comes along.

After owning several boats for 31 years and having to give up through ill
health, I find that motorhomes are very different and it is worth taking my
time to decide, as there are always plenty on offer.

Peter

Old May 28th 05, 05:14 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Ken Fairhurst

"Andy R" wrote in message

[...]

As I said "my opinion and my experience", we spent a lot of time and a lot
of money viewing motorhomes that in our opinion were well overpriced, and
most needed a lot of TLC. I am sure there are lots of private sale bargains
out there but we could not find one. And why should we spend time and money,
whatever it costs, on carpets, tie backs, covers etc. when we can buy one
for a 1,000 cheaper in immaculate condition, similar mileage, similar
conversion with a 12 months guarantee. And with regards to a five grand mark
up, I spoke to the previous owner about the history of the van and he
willingly told me how much he got for it, the dealer has lost money on it
already!!

ATB Ken