Autotrail (& Others) freezing water tanks

Old May 29th 05, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
[email protected]

Default Autotrail (& Others) freezing water tanks

I'm in the market to buy a new and first motorhome.
I'm looking at an Autotrail Scout, and the dealer was telling me the
water tanks could freeze in sub zero weather.

Is this a real issue I should be concered about, as I do intend to use
it all year around, and are there any aftermarket fixes such as heaters
etc?

Thanks,

Steve

Old May 29th 05, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy_R

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm in the market to buy a new and first motorhome.
I'm looking at an Autotrail Scout, and the dealer was telling me the
water tanks could freeze in sub zero weather.

Is this a real issue I should be concered about, as I do intend to use
it all year around, and are there any aftermarket fixes such as heaters
etc?

It's got to be well below zero day and night to freeze a 20 gallon water
tank. Unless you're thinking of spending time up a mountain I wouldn't
worry too much.

Rgds

Andy R

Old May 29th 05, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Bob Douglas

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm in the market to buy a new and first motorhome.
I'm looking at an Autotrail Scout, and the dealer was telling me the
water tanks could freeze in sub zero weather.

Is this a real issue I should be concered about, as I do intend to use
it all year around, and are there any aftermarket fixes such as heaters
etc?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,

It *is* a potential issue in all-year round use.

If properly prepared, however, it can be managed in all but extreme
conditions.

Tanks located inboard, whilst the 'van is in use, are likely to be of little
concern. In most 'vans the majority of the pipework is also inboard. Using
heating for habitation purposes will usually keep these safe.

If you leave the van unused in freezing conditions, even the interior is at
risk, and the water system should be drained down. All vehicles should allow
for this, though it is generally a pain, and some are worse than others.

The major issue is with any water fitment (particularly tanks and pipework)
outside the 'van. (And I'm not sure without looking up where the tanks on
the Scout are positioned, though I think the *fresh* water tank on some
Auto-Trails is under-floor, which would be less than ideal, and my major
concern ).

It is possible to take some mitigating action with these. Any pipes can be
lagged if not already sorted. Waste tanks can be left with the drain open,
allowing 'straight-through' to a separate container. An external fresh water
tank (and waste for that matter) can be lagged with 'bubble wrap' or other
insulation material, and it is also possible to buy and fit 12V low wattage
heaters which run off a frost stat (only good if on hook-up as a battery
will drain fairly quickly. (I think Auto-Trail use 'bubble wrap')

CAK Tanks (www.caktanks.co.uk) do all the 'bits'.

I once spent a February week in Suffolk in a van conversion with external
fresh and waste tanks. It hit -10C outside overnight, but we left the water
heater on and a fan heater overnight. Tanks froze solid, but everything else
(including me) survived.

Bob

--
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00