Electrics problem!

Old June 3rd 05, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Mark[_12_]

Default Electrics problem!

Hi

We have a Schaudt Elektroblock EBL 100 box of tricks in our van. For
some reason the mains power going into it has blown the 2.5A fuse which
protects the box from the mains power. This box, among other things
charges our battery when on mains. Everything else works, lights,
charging when running the engine etc, just not the mains charging. I
replaced the fuse (250V 2.5A) but when I connected the mains again, the
fuse blew straight away!

Anyone any idea what might be wrong here before I go to the expense of
going to a dealer?

Thanks
Mark
Old June 4th 05, 06:45 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
[email protected]

We have a Schaudt Elektroblock EBL 100 box of tricks in our van. For
some reason the mains power going into it has blown the 2.5A fuse which
protects the box from the mains power.

Have you done a physical check of the wiring around the unit??

Has anything fallen against the unit and shorted or moved a connector.

I had a similar problem with the 12v side of my charger because an
object had moved when travelling.

Worth an hour or two crawling about under the van if necessary doing a
physical check.Without the mains being connected of course!.

Might be a good idea to check the 12volt side as well from batteries
(leisure and vehicle) to unit.

A cheap multimeter from Maplins (for instance) is less than 10 and a
good investment. I carry one with me .

John
Old June 4th 05, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Mark[_12_]

John

Can't see any wires loose and I checked the 12V, everything works even
the charging when engine is working. Next job will be to take the box of
tricks to pieces again (2.5Amp fuse is inside for some reason) and see
if any wires loose in there or some component blown. The box does the
charging when running on 12v and 240v - can see a day of wires
everywhere looming! Always use a meter - only way to know when something
isn't working on the electrics....

Mark

Old June 4th 05, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Jim Cheney

Mark wrote:

We have a Schaudt Elektroblock EBL 100 box of tricks in our van. For
some reason the mains power going into it has blown the 2.5A fuse which
protects the box from the mains power. This box, among other things
charges our battery when on mains. Everything else works, lights,
charging when running the engine etc, just not the mains charging. I
replaced the fuse (250V 2.5A) but when I connected the mains again, the
fuse blew straight away!

Not exactly sure from your description, but I think I had a similar
problem, though with a different electroblok. The symptoms were charging
on 12V but not on mains, and taking apart the box I found that the
internal fuse had blown, the one across the transformer (mine was 2A). I
replaced it and very soon it blew again, replaced again and it blew, but
this time I realised that it happened when plugging in the mains
connection - I had not been in the habit of using the switch on the
mains input box. Replaced it again, always use the switch and it has not
blown since.

Jim
Old June 4th 05, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Mark[_12_]

Jim

Thanks, I'll give that a try - one thing do you mean the switch on the
electroblok or the mains switch where you plug the lead into in the
house. Can't remember seeing a switch on the blok but I'll go and have a
look.

Cheers
Mark

Old June 4th 05, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Mark[_12_]

No - this is an expensive special purpose box of tricks for
motorhomes/boats etc. which runs all the electrics on the van.

Mark

Old June 4th 05, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Jim Cheney

Mark wrote:

Thanks, I'll give that a try - one thing do you mean the switch on the
electroblok or the mains switch where you plug the lead into in the
house. Can't remember seeing a switch on the blok but I'll go and have a
look.

I don't have a switch on my electroblok either.

Inside the MH, under a seat is a type of consumer unit that is fed from
the external lead plugged in, the mains electric circuits come off this,
including the feed to the electroblok. This has a switch which you can
use to isolate the mains inside the MH, and that I now always use that
before pulling the cable out of the external socket.

Jim

Old June 5th 05, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Mark[_12_]

Jim

Found (one of possibly many ?) a reason for the 240v charging not
working, found a blown capacitor on the circuit board where the 240v
comes in and is modified to 12v. Good job it's still under warranty -
bit expensive to replace.

Thanks for your suggestions
Mark