Wiring upgrade for split charging battery bank?

Old June 7th 05, 12:19 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Bert

Default Wiring upgrade for split charging battery bank?

Hi

Im adding another 110Ahr batt to my existing house batt will I have to
upgrade the existing 39amp wiring and 15amp inline fuses through 30amp
relay?

Thanks

Bert

Old June 8th 05, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
MarcleLeisure_co_uk

"Bert" wrote in message
Hi

Im adding another 110Ahr batt to my existing house batt will I have to
upgrade the existing 39amp wiring and 15amp inline fuses through 30amp
relay?

Thanks

Bert

Generally its not considered good practice to add another battery of a
different age etc to an existing battery, to overcome this situation fit
another relay to be activated from the first, otherwise neither may work if
both activated by the alternator, or where ever its activated from. Then fit
a suitably sized selector switch to draw power from one battery at a time.

To do away with the relays you could fit a sterling split charge diode
block. Its not actually diodes as the voltage drop is too great. This unit
will do away with the relays and keep all batteries isolated from one
another, plus enable the batteries to draw what ever power they want from
the alternator without blowing fuses.

news ATTmarcleleisureDOTco DOT uk