Is it worth buying?

Old June 8th 05, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
[email protected]

Default Is it worth buying?

Hi.

We keep talking of buying a SMALL motorhome - 2 birth - and must have
shower and loo. Must be small as poss as may be used as 2nd car.
(Small low-profle coach built aka Auto-sleepers Nuevo or van
conversion)

Motorhomes *appear* to depeciate much slower than cars, so, say on a
30k home - over 2 years 2nd hand they still fetch, say 25k. Even 10
year old ones that, in todays money, would have been c.30k are still
15k second hand!

Is this right - or do list prices increase substantially with options?

We were wondering if it was worth buying one to see how we get on, keep
it for a minimum of 2 years and if we don't get the use - then sell it.

Would expect 1x2 week and 1x1 week break, +1 or 2 weekends per month
max.

Like the outdoors - stick mountain bikes on the back and go!!

What are the small ones like as a 2nd car? (1st car would be a Lotus
Elise - so not really practical either!!)

Comments and thoughts welcome.

Old June 8th 05, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy R

wrote in message
oups.com...

Hi.

We keep talking of buying a SMALL motorhome - 2 birth - and must have
shower and loo. Must be small as poss as may be used as 2nd car.
(Small low-profle coach built aka Auto-sleepers Nuevo or van
conversion)

Motorhomes *appear* to depeciate much slower than cars, so, say on a
30k home - over 2 years 2nd hand they still fetch, say 25k.

Only on a dealer's forecourt. Take a look at trade in and private sale
prices before relying on it..

Even 10
year old ones that, in todays money, would have been c.30k are still
15k second hand!

Take a look at the German second hand market, prices are much more realistic

Is this right - or do list prices increase substantially with options?

When you come to sell it, if you don't want another one but want a car
instead, you'll probably get very low trade in value unless you sell it
privately.

We were wondering if it was worth buying one to see how we get on, keep
it for a minimum of 2 years and if we don't get the use - then sell it.
Would expect 1x2 week and 1x1 week break, +1 or 2 weekends per month
max.
Like the outdoors - stick mountain bikes on the back and go!!

What are the small ones like as a 2nd car? (1st car would be a Lotus
Elise - so not really practical either!!)

I've got a coach built, the height and width make it impractical to use like
a car. If I needed to use it like that I'd buy a van conversion with a
popup roof.

Rgds

Andy R

Old June 9th 05, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
mrcheerful .

wrote in message
[...]

Anything with the wide caravan type body is too large for every day use IMO,
get something with a high top, as stuffing about pushing the roof up will
put you off. Camper vans that meet this spec are few and far between. Get
a diesel, for economy and resell value, older camper vans don't go down in
value in practical terms. At present I am using a 1982 CF hightop camper
every day to commute to work, it fits in parking bays and through width
restrictions very easily, is ignored by everyone and costs very little to
run or maintain.

mrcheerful