Hamsters in motorhome - not a wind up honest!!!

Old June 17th 05, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Hilary

Default Hamsters in motorhome - not a wind up honest!!!

I know this sounds like a wind up but I'm serious -(oh h*** Tone is going to
have a field day with this!!!!!)

Does anyone know of anyone who travels with their small pets aboard?? I
tried over at the hamster group but it seems no ones ever tried it so I
thought I'd give you all a laugh and ask here.lol.

I seem to have overindulged the wee things and they get totally distressed
when we are parted, however well they are cared for. So taking them with us
is possibly less traumatic?

Weve got room for the cages and I had always intended to take them
travelling with us but got worried about how theyd cope and bottled out last
time. Just hoping to hear of someone else who takes them along and how they
are on the journey.

)

Old June 17th 05, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Tone Fan

"Hilary" wrote in message
[...]

My hero Tone is being a good boy recently, He's even changed hi 'I don't
care' signature, because he obviously does ) So lets be positive about our
Tone please.

As for the hamsters, the vet would be the best place to ask, especially if
they are part of the pet passport scheme.

Old June 17th 05, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Hilary

"Tone Fan" wrote in message

So lets be positive about our
Tone please.

I'll try, I'll try.

As for the hamsters, the vet would be the best place to ask, especially if
they are part of the pet passport scheme.

No passports needed as we are only travelling in the UK.

The vet thought some animals would adapt and it was a case of try it and
see. The rescue centres do send small pets across the country to other
centres when they get full so they clearly travel ok on single long
journeys.

)

Old June 19th 05, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
R L Driver

"Hilary" wrote in message
[...]

My only observation would be as for dogs and other animals , make sure they
dont get too hot, so possibly put the cage in the shade etc, at appropriate
times .
steve the grease

Old July 4th 05, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
[email protected]

Can't see it being an issue. We've taken ours (now dead) on teh back
seat of a car...

Obvioulsy - make sure cage is secure - and the hammies can't eat the
retaining belts etc!

also - make sure water bottle is removed or in a location where
spillage won't matter. Otherwise if it drips in bedding etc - hammie
gets sick

For 2-3hr journey - we'd say take it off to be safe.

Apart from that - loads of bedding. Oh - and don't worry - ours were
climing upside down when we were on the twisty suffolk roads!

Old July 5th 05, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Hilary

wrote in message
oups.com...
Can't see it being an issue. We've taken ours (now dead) on teh back
seat of a car...

Hi there

Thanks for your reply. We found out about the water bottles about 5 minutes
into the journey.

The "girls" seemed to thoroughly enjoy the experience and ate etc normally.
One was a little nervous and slept in her loo jar for the first hour. We
strapped the cages securely to the floor against the L - shaped sofa which
we figured was the least bumpy place. And at night ( after running around in
their balls of course) they went up on the top bunk.

So all in all a positive experience.

)

Old July 21st 05, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Mike Williams[_2_]

"Hilary" wrote in message

Weve got room for the cages and I had always intended to take
them [my hamsters] travelling with us but got worried about how
theyd cope and bottled out last time.

I reckon they'll be no problem at all. In fact if you built them a little
cage and attached it to one of the rear wheels you'd probably save quite a
bit on petrol ;-)

Mike

Old July 22nd 05, 12:45 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Hilary

"Mike Williams" wrote in message
In fact if you built them a little cage and attached it to one of the rear
wheels you'd probably save quite a bit on petrol ;-)

Well we dont need a generator anymore!!!!

lol!!