Europe first timers

Old July 1st 05, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
John[_10_]

Default Europe first timers

We have driven across France, Austria in a car but this year is our first as
Motorhomers, we plan to drive to Zurich on the 13th of July for a week then
on to somewhere in France, Annecy maybe, does anyone have any information
that would be handy etc or how we should plan the trip thanks

Colleen & John Hughes

Old July 2nd 05, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Dave Hardy[_3_]

"John" wrote in message
We have driven across France, Austria in a car but this year is our first
as Motorhomers, we plan to drive to Zurich on the 13th of July for a week
then on to somewhere in France, Annecy maybe, does anyone have any
information that would be handy etc or how we should plan the trip thanks

Colleen & John Hughes

I think you might have left it a bit late to start planning this trip. As
you'll be going during the French summer holidays, you'll probably find most
campsites in the popular areas (eg Annecy!) will be fully booked.

One possible option is to use the Aires de Service - parking areas in
selected towns and villages where you can fill up water tanks and empty
grey/black waste. Most allow overnight parking for a few camping cars and
many offer electric hookups. Even so, you'll need to get to your spot by
mid afternoon to stand any chance of getting a space in the popular areas.

Details from he http://eurocampingcar.com/

Try also http://www.france-passion.com For a fee of 27 euros a year you get
a booklet containing details of vinyards and farms where you can stop
overnight for free. In exchange, you have the opportunity to purchase wine
or food from your hosts.

French campsites will ask you to leave your passport with them on arrival
(in case you cause any damage whilst you're there). To avoid this - and
also to avoid forgetting to collect the thing when you leave - you should
get yourself an International Camping Carnet. The carnet certifies that you
are a respectable camper and includes damage insurance cover. You can buy
one from the caravaning clubs (if you're a member) or from the AA.

Beware if your motorhome is over 3500kg - if so, its classed as an HGV
(poids lourd) and your access to town/village centres will be restricted.
Look out for the white/red circular weight limit signs.

....and you'll already be aware that fuel is virtually unobtainable on a
Sunday unless you've got a french credit card!

Have a nice trip.

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

Old July 2nd 05, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
dario osaris[_2_]

John wrote:
We have driven across France, Austria in a car but this year is our first as
Motorhomers, ...
on to somewhere in France, Annecy maybe, does anyone have any information
that would be handy etc

aires/laybys are quite rare in switzerland, you'll probably have to
focuse on campgrounds.

In France it's totaly different, it's somekind of "the promised land"
for motorhomers/RVers.

You may download lists of aires he
www.womo-sp.de.be

for France nearly 2'000 aires are listed.

Just print the list and take it along to your trip,
or - if you're lucky - download the lists to your navigation system and
tell your toy: guide me to next aire.

The french propane bottles are easy to swap in nearly every small town,
but the connectors are (most likely) different to yours.
Don't expect to get your bottle filled in France.
Best choice is a propane-tank which can be filled nearly everywhere
on the continent. You'll love that price of propane.

Enjoy ur trip

Dario
Old July 3rd 05, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Nick \(Scots\)

"John" wrote in message

We have driven across France, Austria in a car but this year is our first
as Motorhomers, we plan to drive to Zurich on the 13th of July for a week
then on to somewhere in France, Annecy maybe, does anyone have any
information that would be handy etc or how we should plan the trip thanks

I'm off to Chamonix on Monday -rosyth to zeebrugge- and the Aigulle du Midi
car park
in chamonix is a HUGE campervan park. Not free but has all the faciliites.

Most small french villages don't mind parking on the square. Embrun south of
Briancon has
good lakeside laybys. The Col du Galibier and other famous toru de france
cols have campervan
spots. Some with facilities. I would recommned going to france via the
Italian Dolomites.
It has superb campervan spots. Lake garda is different as most lakeside
spots are pay parking for
cars.

Enjoy.

Nick