Winter wheels

Old October 31st 03, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bill

Default Winter wheels

I am now the proud owner of a pair of (proper) winter wheels. Took my
caravan spare for comparison to a car breakers this morning. The guy
directed me to a mile high heap of wheels and said help yourself before
wandering off back to his warm hut. I found a couple of wheels that
actually had good tyres. Asked the guy how much and he said just take them,
saves him paying to get rid of the rubber.

They can sit on the van over winter and my new tyred wheels, bought this
summer, can sit in the shed ready for next year.

Before anyone offers me the advice, the "scrappie" wheels/tyres will never
be used on the road!

Bill

Old October 31st 03, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Manders

"Bill" wrote in message
I am now the proud owner of a pair of (proper) winter wheels. Took my
caravan spare for comparison to a car breakers this morning. The guy
directed me to a mile high heap of wheels and said help yourself before
wandering off back to his warm hut. I found a couple of wheels that
actually had good tyres. Asked the guy how much and he said just take

them,
saves him paying to get rid of the rubber.

They can sit on the van over winter and my new tyred wheels, bought this
summer, can sit in the shed ready for next year.

Before anyone offers me the advice, the "scrappie" wheels/tyres will never
be used on the road!

Bill

Good for you, a real bargain and well worth the money.
I would suggest marking the scrappie wheels in some way so that they never
get confused with the road wheels.

John

Old October 31st 03, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DC

"John Manders" wrote in message

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Next Idea

Make one one cross-ply and the other Radial on the same axle

I wouldnt like to be behind it when it was towed down the road.

Cheers all to DeeSee

AND A HAPPY XMAS !!

Old November 1st 03, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

You could send a Card to the innocent third party that ended up in hospital.

Richard

---

Old November 3rd 03, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alan Holmes

"Bill" wrote in message
I am now the proud owner of a pair of (proper) winter wheels. Took my
caravan spare for comparison to a car breakers this morning. The guy
directed me to a mile high heap of wheels and said help yourself before
wandering off back to his warm hut. I found a couple of wheels that
actually had good tyres. Asked the guy how much and he said just take

them,
saves him paying to get rid of the rubber.

When I had the tryres replaced on my van after 8 years, the fitter suggested
taking the wheels off and letting the air out of them whilst in storage.

My 'winter wheels' are three house bricks under the chassis on each side.

Alan

Old November 4th 03, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Cockney ryming bollocks!

I do that; but i only let out enough air to leave about 15psi in them, i
put two axle stands under the... axle!
then still put on the winter wheels, as i can lock them, preventing anyone
getting access to the hubs.
Don't forget to take the spare out from underneath!