Best tyres to get in the uk?

Old July 17th 05, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
G Brunsdon

Default Best tyres to get in the uk?

I have an autosleepers motorhome - based on a mwb Peugeot van.

I need two new tyre for the front which seem to have sidewall damage -
which reading articles on the net, may be as a result of low mileage - c
7k a year.

So - wondered if anyone had a reccomendation of a make/model to go for?
with tough sidewalls..

size is 195 / 70 r 15 - thanks.
Old July 17th 05, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
ROBIN DUMPLETON

Get budget tyres, HanKook et al as you will have the same problem again in a
couple of years. If you only do a low mileage like that, drive around once a
month so the tyres are not parked on the same spot all the time.
Inveat in a set of axle stands for laying up during the winter.

Robin

Old July 18th 05, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
mrcheerful .

"G Brunsdon" wrote in message

I have an autosleepers motorhome - based on a mwb Peugeot van.

I need two new tyre for the front which seem to have sidewall damage -
which reading articles on the net, may be as a result of low mileage - c
7k a year.

So - wondered if anyone had a reccomendation of a make/model to go for?
with tough sidewalls..

size is 195 / 70 r 15 - thanks.

Buying cheap tyres is never a good idea. In particular: Cheap tyres are
made using a very low amount of 'carbon black' this is what makes the rubber
last in daylight, so cheap tyres crack up earlier than good ones. The new
or best tyres should be fitted to the rear. A pair of something good like
Michelin will be around a hundred pounds and will last you many years and be
quieter and have better grip than cheapo tyres.

mrcheerful

Old July 19th 05, 05:51 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Diesel

Buying cheap tyres is never a good idea. In particular: Cheap tyres are
made using a very low amount of 'carbon black' this is what makes the
rubber last in daylight, so cheap tyres crack up earlier than good ones.
The new or best tyres should be fitted to the rear. A pair of something
good like Michelin will be around a hundred pounds and will last you many
years and be quieter and have better grip than cheapo tyres.

mrcheerful

I agree, and in addition, how much is your life (and your partner's /
passengers) life worth?

Cheap tyres don't offer the same level of grip, especially in the wet, as a
premiere brand tyre, and, as has been pointed out, simply by moving the 'van
regularly (weekly) and possibly covering the tyres in direct sunlight, can
dramatically extend their life.

TonyH

Old July 19th 05, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
jim.johnson

"mrcheerful ." wrote in message
. uk...

"G Brunsdon" wrote in message

I have an autosleepers motorhome - based on a mwb Peugeot van.

I need two new tyre for the front which seem to have sidewall damage -
which reading articles on the net, may be as a result of low mileage - c
7k a year.

So - wondered if anyone had a reccomendation of a make/model to go for?
with tough sidewalls..

size is 195 / 70 r 15 - thanks.

Buying cheap tyres is never a good idea. In particular: Cheap tyres are
made using a very low amount of 'carbon black' this is what makes the
rubber last in daylight, so cheap tyres crack up earlier than good ones.
The new or best tyres should be fitted to the rear. A pair of something
good like Michelin will be around a hundred pounds and will last you many
years and be quieter and have better grip than cheapo tyres.

mrcheerful

The results of buying cheap tyres and the paring down of regular inspection
and maintenance are spread along every road in the UK. It is not just your
life and property which are at risk of a buy cheap policy but those of
others as well.

Jim