Sleeping in a car

Old July 23rd 05, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Paolo Tramannoni

Default Sleeping in a car

Hello,

It's the first time I write here. I'm an old time camper from italy,
who's starting to move with a new mini-MPV (an Opel Meriva) around
Europe. My new car has back seats that can be completely hidden under
the floor, resulting in a backpack big enough to let me lie comfortably.
Since I would stay in each place for just one night, I'm thinking to
avoid pitching a tent, and sleep instead with a camping mattress on the
back of my car.

However, i've still doubts that I don't know how to solve. So, I would
like to ask to someone who already did the experience, or knows more
than me on this matter.

- Permission. As it seems, campings loan a space for a camper or a tent,
but not for a car. I only saw a camping in Croatia speaking of minibus
(probably, the best fitting for me). How do one do in this case? Do
campings generally accept people entering with a car and sleeping in
there?

- Smell. Bedrooms (as well as tents) need some air in the morning. What
do you do with a car? I wonder if the "sleep smell" goes away by simply
keeping the car windows open when leaving again, or this is not enough.
Does a good vapor wash after the holidays suffice to ged rid of the bad
smell?

- Heaters. I'm thinking to a separate heater. Do you have some brands
and models to suggest me? The car is a diesel one.

- Air conditioning. I wonder if it is absolutely needed, when you sleep
in a car (not so well insulated as a camper). Are there heathers that
can also work as fresh air conditioners? Or should I buy a separate
device for this?

thank you very much for the info you will be pleased to give me.

Best regards,
Paolo
Old July 23rd 05, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
RB News

Hi, Paolo

You have correctly identified that ventilation will be an issue. Many years
ago, I had an Austin Maxi Hatchback which was designed so that the rear
seats could fold forwards in the normal way for equipment stowage in the
rear or could fold backwards so that the upholstered part of both the seat
base and seat back were upward facing. With the front seats pushed forward
and fully reclined, this created a comfortable double-bed sized sleeping
area. Seemingly a great idea, however I only ever used this once - I used
to travel across from Pegwell Bay, Ramsgate to Calais on the hovercraft and
on one occasion wanted to take advantage of the first 'flight' in the
morning as it was cheaper and also gave a longer day trip. To achieve this,
a friend and I spent the night in sleeping bags in the Maxi. Whilst the
'bed' was comfy, in the morning the whole inside of the windows, inside
roof, dash etc were absolutely dripping with condensation. Motorhomes
overcome this by having properly insulated walls, double-glazed acrylic
(rather than glass)windows in the living/sleeping area and lots of
ventilation areas around the windows, roof-vents etc. even when they are
closed - there are minimum ventilation rates enforced by construction
regulations for habitation vehicles. Cars on the other hand have a much
larger ratio of single-glazed area so will be much more susceptible to
condensation, especially out of the main summer season. Keeping all of the
windows partially open would obviously help.

I believe there are some camping cars which are basically a car with a
clip-on extension, a bit like some of the add-on awnings for small
motorcaravans. I assume you then keep the tailgate/hatch open and the awning
part 'breathes. thus overcoming this potential problem. See this link for
an example:
http://www.caranex.co.uk/

Regarding heaters and/or air-conditioning, were you intending only using
sites with electric hook-up to power these? You mention your engine is
diesel powered, but I assume you hadn't intended leaving the engine running
all night? Air-conditioning would have the benefit of also dehumidifying
the air, whereas a heater wouldn't ( a heater, by raising the temperature,
will allow the warmer air to hold more moisture, however this would actually
increase the amount of condensation on forming cold surfaces such as the
windows, inside roof, etc).

Hope this helps.
cheers
Roger

Old July 23rd 05, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Geoff Lane

(Paolo Tramannoni) wrote in
:

thank you very much for the info you will be pleased to give me.

Strangely, you could do a lot worse than scout around
http://www.bongofury.co.uk/ This is a website for owners of the Mazda
Bongo / Ford Freeda - and MPV that doubles as a motorhome. Many owners of
those vehicles do pretty much what you're contemplating, so you'll find a
lot of info.

WRT heaters, two makes spring to mind: Eberspacher and Webasto
(www.eberspacher.com and www.webasto.co.uk respectively). There are two
types that will burn diesel - one with its own hot air outlet, the other
that acts as a cooling system pre-heater. IMO, both are expensive, but
they may do what you need.

WRT other points, as Roger wrote, perhaps the best thing to do is get a
caranex-type awning. That will give you more space and ventilation very
quickly. It will also make your unit acceptable on most campsites that
don't normally allow sleeping in cars.

HTH,

--
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK

Old July 24th 05, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Dave Hardy[_3_]

See also http://www.wellhouseleisure.com

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
(Paolo Tramannoni) wrote in
:

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

Old July 24th 05, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Dave Hardy[_3_]

See also http://www.wellhouseleisure.com

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
(Paolo Tramannoni) wrote in
:

Old July 25th 05, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Paolo Tramannoni

Rob, Geoff, Dave,

Thank you very much for your advices. Very useful!

Best,
Paolo

Old August 2nd 05, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Paolo Tramannoni

Hi Roger,

Sorry if I see your post only now. Thank you very much for your comments
and suggestions.

I believe there are some camping cars which are basically a car with a
clip-on extension, a bit like some of the add-on awnings for small
motorcaravans. I assume you then keep the tailgate/hatch open and the awning
part 'breathes. thus overcoming this potential problem. See this link for
an example: http://www.caranex.co.uk/

Absolutely genial, but a bit on the expensive side.

Regarding heaters and/or air-conditioning, were you intending only using
sites with electric hook-up to power these?

I guess I'll have to enter campings as a small caravan. So I can ask for
the camp's electric hook-up.

but I assume you hadn't intended leaving the engine running
all night?

No no. I'm not ready for the Heaven, yet! :-)

Air-conditioning would have the benefit of also dehumidifying
the air

I think I will do without an air conditioner. I'll just leave windows
slightly open, to allow for air circualtion. At the same time, a
chemical dehumidifier seems to me a good idea. Inexpensive,
inobstrusive, it should do it job well enough.

Best regards,
Paolo