Sleeping in a car

Old July 23rd 05, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Paolo Tramannoni

Default Sleeping in a car

Hello,

It's the first time I write here. I'm an old time camper from italy,
who's starting to move with a new mini-MPV (an Opel Meriva) around
Europe. My new car has back seats that can be completely hidden under
the floor, resulting in a backpack big enough to let me lie comfortably.
Since I would stay in each place for just one night, I'm thinking to
avoid pitching a tent, and sleep instead with a camping mattress on the
back of my car.

However, i've still doubts that I don't know how to solve. So, I would
like to ask to someone who already did the experience, or knows more
than me on this matter.

- Permission. As it seems, campings loan a space for a camper or a tent,
but not for a car. I only saw a camping in Croatia speaking of minibus
(probably, the best fitting for me). How do one do in this case? Do
campings generally accept people entering with a car and sleeping in
there?

- Smell. Bedrooms (as well as tents) need some air in the morning. What
do you do with a car? I wonder if the "sleep smell" goes away by simply
keeping the car windows open when leaving again, or this is not enough.
Does a good vapor wash after the holidays suffice to ged rid of the bad
smell?

- Heaters. I'm thinking to a separate heater. Do you have some brands
and models to suggest me? The car is a diesel one.

- Air conditioning. I wonder if it is absolutely needed, when you sleep
in a car (not so well insulated as a camper). Are there heathers that
can also work as fresh air conditioners? Or should I buy a separate
device for this?

thank you very much for the info you will be pleased to give me.

Best regards,
Paolo