Stop-over near Scottish border?

Old July 24th 05, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Tony Shelley

Default Stop-over near Scottish border?

Hi group,

We're travelling to Scotland next weekend in our motorhome and, to extend
the holiday a bit, we were thinking of travelling up the night before and
just getting a few hours kip somewhere betweeen Penrith and Carlisle.

Anyone got any suggestions for a place to get our heads down for a while
without staying on a campsite?

We'll be getting to the border sometime between 11 and midnight so we were
thinking of either truckstops or maybe a 24hr supermarket carpark, either
way we get a reasonable breakfast before we set off again.

Have any of you had any grief parking in supermarkets overnight? apart from
the obvious problem of height barriers.

Any recommendations please, otherwise we'll just take pot luck when we get
there.

Cheers

Tony & Debbie

Old July 24th 05, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Mike Williams[_2_]

"Tony Shelley" wrote in message

We're travelling to Scotland next weekend in our motorhome and, to
extend the holiday a bit, we were thinking of travelling up the night
before and just getting a few hours kip somewhere betweeen Penrith
and Carlisle.

It would appear that you want advice on somewhere where you can stop for
free (which we used to do ourselves a while ago but which we don't do any
more). There are places I know getting up towards that area, but they are
too far South for your needs (near Kendall).

Have you ever considered stopping at a motorway service area? Some of them
are really nice, and most of them charge a reasonable fee. And in almost all
of them you have the benefit of toilets and showers and a (rather expensive,
but sometimes quite useful!) 24 hour shop on site! Most of them charge about
7 or 8 for a 24 hour stay, but you have to balance that against the fact
that you can *always* get on one of them and you *never* have to book! There
is a service area (Southway Services, as I recall) almost exactly in the
middle of the Penrith to Carlisle strech of the M6. We've never stopped
there, so I can't tell you what it is like.

If I were you I would continue a little further up the M6 (in fact, to the
end of it and onto the A74(M)). The A74 (as you probably already know) is
effectively a continuation of the M6 and the A74(M) junction numbers start
at about number 22 (as I recall) and reduce as you go Northwards. Anyway,
about 26 miles past Carlisle (at junction 16 on the A74(M) there is a
beautiful little service station. It has a nice lake and some really nice
walks and of course all the facilities you would expect to find on a
motorway service station, and the last time we stopped there (some time last
year) it cost just 6 for a night (24 hours). That is 6 well spent if you
ask me. It is a beautiful little place. Check it out. You won't be
disappointed.

Mike

Old July 24th 05, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Stewart

Asda in Carlisle and just off the M6 has a huge car park with no height
barriers. They also have a fillling station (cheaper fuel). Come off at the
top end of Carlisle, signed A7 turn left, then take right hand lane and turn
right at traffic lights, keep going until you see Asda on the left.
Stewart