Furniture panel repair??

Old July 30th 05, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Springtime

Default Furniture panel repair??

A few months ago I realised that there was a leak around the seal of the wet
locker door which has been letting in water when there was a torrential
downpour.
I have readjusted the locker door and now all seems fine.
however, the trickle of water has damaged the bottom of the internal end of
the locker panel (plastic coated board) and the chipboard between the
plastic coatings has gone to powdered sawdust for up to an inch above the
base of the panel. I am assuming that it is something like chipboard but I
could be wrong.
Strangely enough there is no evidence of a problem on the other side of the
panel (the face side).
I either have to replace the panel or perhaps fill the void with something
like expandable foam - any repair of this nature would be virtually
undetectable as the plastic facing coating is undamaged.
Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated.

SH

Old August 4th 05, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Hilary

"Springtime" [spam] wrote in message
Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated.

We recently had a similar problem with our 10 yr old motorhome. Ours was
leaking through the cassette door. Unfortunately what youve found may be the
tip of the iceberg and you cant tell how far the problem goes until you get
in there.

We took out the loo, lifted the shower room floor took the offending wall
down which was plywood and found about 6inches of rotten cross members. It
was contructed with a 2 by 1" frame of white wood with slabs of solid
polystyrene in the spaces and topped with a sheet of plywood.

We replaced all rot with good, and used some polystyrene solid to fill in
the bigger squares ( between the noggins" and the expanding foam in the more
fiddly bits. Then rewalled with a good quality plywood.

Getting the loo fitting back in was a bit fiddly as we'd slightly altered
the dimensions by the repair. We then walpapered ( shower tile stuff) the
whole room to bring it up to standard.

You have to be very careful when nailing etc that you dont damage the
outside skin. Use the expanding foam sparingly. It expands alarmingly and
can even push the plywood off its nails/screws if you're too genorous.

HTH

Old August 4th 05, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Steptoe[_2_]

Hilary, is your van, by chance, an Autohomes Highwayman? Your
description of the construction sounds alarmingly familiar! I have
already had to change a lot of the wood battening on mine but have
been puzzled by the source of the damp patch around the lower vent in
the shower room, never thought about the cassette door, though on
close inspection moss is growing from joint between plastic frame
& aluminium!

Best regards, Steptoe

Old August 5th 05, 12:35 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Hilary

"Steptoe" wrote in message
Hilary, is your van, by chance, an Autohomes Highwayman?

An Autotrail pulman six at the moment. The one before was an Autohomes
Travelhom and there are similarities in some areas.

The problems with the cassette door seems to be over the years the hinges
drop and so the door doesnt shut as well. Then the rubber "gasket" seal
loses its elasticity and doesnt make a correct seal.

We noticed that the upper corner of the camper had a slightly damaged gutter
"bracket". When standing in torrential rain on the slope of our drive, it
was running down the side of the camper and hitting the cassette door and
presumable some was getting in through the faulty rubber. We swapped the
guttering bracket to the other side which stopped it. You'll have to wait
for a downpour and go watch whats going on.

We also had some ingress over the bumper. The only answer is to
painstakingly clean out and re mastic the joints. If theres greenery growing
they probably need it. Use 2 strips of low tack masking tape so that the
mastic looks factory done. Pull tape off a few minutes after sealing( try a
section and see) if you leave it till its dry you get crinkly edges.

Hilary

)

Old August 5th 05, 06:33 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Steptoe[_2_]

can't quite get the hang of replying to include name & address,
but thanks for your suggestions.

The Highwayman's shower room vent was constucted by punching two 2"
holes through the wall & fitting a grill inside and out, no
initial sealing of the cut edges! ( done it now, but stable door etc
) There is no evidence of any mastic between cassette door frame and
bodyside, just a gap with the the moss flourishing at the bottom.
Then considering the roof is formed out of three separate pieces of
aluminium instead of one.....wonder why Autohomes went out of
business????

Thinking about the water seepage senario, I wonder if driving through
rain would cause unusual leaks past faulty sealing, on windscreens
& windows rainwater will often travel upwards.

When I had to replace some of the framing on my van I found that
roofing tile battening, as sold by builders merchants, was almost the
exact size, and has the advantage of being pre-treated to resist rot.

Best regards, Steptoe

Old August 5th 05, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Mike Williams[_2_]

"Steptoe" wrote in
message ...

can't quite get the hang of replying to include
name & address . . .

If you're using Outlook Express then from the main Outlook Express
window use the Tools menu and click Options. Then click the "Send" tab
(near the top of the window that appears) and use the mouse to place a
tick in the little box where it says "Include Message in Reply". From
then on all your replies will include a copy of the original message,
including the sender's details. When you write your reply it is usual to
"edit out" most of the original message, leaving just a small section of
the appropriate part of it to act as a sort of "reminder" so that people
reading your reply will know what you are replying to without looking
back at the original, and without having tro scroll through the entire
message before they can see your reply. Also, people often argue about
"top posting" or "bottom posting", by which they mean should you include
the small section of the original above your reply (as I have done here)
or below it. Personally, I prefer top posting (as long as you don't
include large chunks of the original).

Mike