Leisure battery indicator question

Old August 2nd 05, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Blobby

Default Leisure battery indicator question

I purchased a 85Amp Leisure battery with a Turbo charger. The charger
is only an entry level model and it takes 15hrs to fully charge a 45Amp

battery. To fully charge the 85Amp battery it says in the instructions
to leave it charging for a longer time. I have charged it now for 24hrs

and the battery only seems half full(as per the chargers battery
meter). The battery keeps on making bubbling noises and I have attached

an adaptor and mini tube to the ventilation hole as per the
instructions. I would have expected the battery to be more charged than

it is. Also the green indicator light is green but has small metal bits

on it which are clearly visible and were not there before. Is this
normal or does this indicate that the battery might be faulty? I have
tested the battery and it appears to work.......

Old August 3rd 05, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy Vines

"Blobby" wrote in message
oups.com...
I purchased a 85Amp Leisure battery with a Turbo charger. The charger
is only an entry level model and it takes 15hrs to fully charge a 45Amp

battery. To fully charge the 85Amp battery it says in the instructions
to leave it charging for a longer time. I have charged it now for 24hrs

and the battery only seems half full(as per the chargers battery
meter). The battery keeps on making bubbling noises and I have attached

an adaptor and mini tube to the ventilation hole as per the
instructions. I would have expected the battery to be more charged than

it is. Also the green indicator light is green but has small metal bits

on it which are clearly visible and were not there before. Is this
normal or does this indicate that the battery might be faulty? I have
tested the battery and it appears to work.......

AFAIK, Due to the way leisure battery's are, they do take longer to charge,
as they need a low amp charge.

I have a 85amp LB which takes at least 36 hours to fully charge, my battery
charges is one designed for 2.0L engines or above, and is Automatic, so it
adjusts it charge to suit, the same charger will charge my 45amp standard
car battery in about 4 hours.

I also sometimes find that my charger reports the charge of the leisure
battery lower than what it actually is, if I hook it up to my zig unit, that
reports that it is full???

Old August 3rd 05, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Mike Williams[_2_]

"Blobby" wrote in message
oups.com...

I purchased a 85Amp Leisure battery with a Turbo charger.
The charger is only an entry level model and it takes 15hrs to
fully charge a 45Amp battery. To fully charge the 85Amp
battery it says in the instructions to leave it charging for a longer
time. I have charged it now for 24hrs and the battery only seems
half full(as per the chargers battery meter).

Simple "charge level" indicators (such as you might find on an entry
level unit) are notoriously unreliable, so I wouldn't personally take
too much notice of them. Also, cheap entry level battery chargers can
taper off quite dramatically as the battery voltage starts to rise. What
kind of charger is it? Does it have proper electronic control of the
charging process, or is it a simple passive device?

Electronic chargers work in a variety of different ways, so there isn't
much point discussing them unless you know exactly what system your own
charger uses, but as a general rule (for a simple but well designed
passive charger) the initial charging current should start off at about
one tenth of the "amp hour" capacity (about 8 amps in your case) and the
charging current should taper down gradually until the battery voltage
rises to the "gassing voltage" of about 2.35 volts per cell (14.1 volts
for a "12 volt" battery). After that time you should continue to charge
the battery for about a further four hours at a slightly reduced
"equalising" rate. Having said that though, the differences between
various chargers can be great, and so you need to know something about
the system your own charger uses before deciding exactly on what should
be happening.

Ideally, you should measure the battery voltage with a digital voltmeter
while it is charging and see how long it takes to rise to 14.1 volts.
Then watch the voltage (and preferably the charging current) for a
further four or five hours. It will continue to rise, but the final
voltage (when it is fully charged) can vary quite a lot between
different batteries, so I'd rather not tell you what the maximum voltage
should be. After the "14.1 volts" level it is best to stick to time and
current measurements, or the even more sophisticated measurements that
some expsensive chargers use.

Also, especially with cheap passive chargers, the manufacturer's rated
output is a bit of a joke (the label is designed by the manufacturer's
sales manager rather than its technical manager and the output often
seems to refer to how much charge it will put across a short circuit!).
I've had a "10 amp" charger that starts off at less than 2 amps to a
typical battery in need of charging, and drops to a tiny fraction of an
amp with minutes! (and Yes, I did check out the rectifier, just in case
anyone asks!)

Mike

Old August 3rd 05, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
CampinGazz

"Andy Vines" wrote in message

"Blobby" wrote in message
oups.com...

AFAIK, Due to the way leisure battery's are, they do take longer to

charge,
as they need a low amp charge.

I have a 85amp LB which takes at least 36 hours to fully charge, my

battery
charges is one designed for 2.0L engines or above, and is Automatic, so it
adjusts it charge to suit, the same charger will charge my 45amp standard
car battery in about 4 hours.

I also sometimes find that my charger reports the charge of the leisure
battery lower than what it actually is, if I hook it up to my zig unit,

that
reports that it is full???

A leasure battery charger charges slightly differently to a starter battery
charger,

But come off it, 36 hours to charge it, what's it's rating? 0.5 of an amp?

I have a sterling 20 amp 4 stage charger, and it used to fully charge a 110
AH battery in around an hour before switching to absorbtion mode,

that's taking the battery down to 10.5 volts, the absolute minimum you
should take a battery down to that you want to last longer than a few
cycles.

I now have a 460 AH battery bank (4 x 115 AH batteries) same charger, vastly
under sized for this battery bank, but it's not taken more than 12 hours
total to charge it.. and that includes the 4 hour absorbtion stage that's
triggered when the batteries are detected to have reached 14.8 volts... how
long it takes to reach that voltage depends on the battery state,
temperatures and so on.

But you might want to see about a decent charger if it expects you to wait
15 hours to charge a tiny 45 amp hour battery,

i assume it's really a car starter battery charger, and not got a switch to
select the battery type it's connected to,
and as to the turbo name on the charger, i'd hate to think what the non
turbo charger does