Seatbelts for the kids in the back

Old August 5th 05, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Simon[_5_]

Default Seatbelts for the kids in the back

Hello folks

We're in the process of fixing up a lovely '68 mercedies cotswold
camper but we're not sure about seatbelts for our two kids (a 4 and a
6 year old).
The only proper seats are in the cab the rest are just foam cushions
in the back that convert to beds.

I'd welcome opinion as to wether I should should add 3 point seatbelt
fittings or lapbelts. Perhaps try to source some seats from a van?

thanks in advance

Simon Humby
Old August 5th 05, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
themechanic

Lapbelts would be easiest to retro fit but if possible use them on
forward facing seats for safety with sideways seats as the
alternative. Do not use them with rear facing seats as young children
can slide out underneath or worse and cause severe neck problems.
Finding suitable places to mount 3 point harnesses would pose problems
as the top most one would need to bolt into a rigid steel frame or a
seat frame which yours will not have. Stick with lapbelts and make
sure the kids usse them correctly is the best thing to do. HTH

Old August 5th 05, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Simon[_5_]

On 5 Aug 2005 17:22:06 GMT, "themechanic"
wrote:

Lapbelts would be easiest to retro fit but if possible use them on
forward facing seats for safety with sideways seats as the
alternative. Do not use them with rear facing seats as young children
can slide out underneath or worse and cause severe neck problems.
Finding suitable places to mount 3 point harnesses would pose problems
as the top most one would need to bolt into a rigid steel frame or a
seat frame which yours will not have. Stick with lapbelts and make
sure the kids usse them correctly is the best thing to do. HTH

Yes, I guess it'll have to be lapbelts - trouble is that only the cab
seats face forwards. All the seats in the back face sidewards.

Looks like my only option would be a major reorganise - chuck out some
of the original furniture, find some seats off another vehicle - and
put up with the inefficient use of space that'll mean. Perhaps I can
make them de-mountable and put them outside when we're stopped.

oh well

thanks for the thoughts

Old August 6th 05, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
VivienB

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 09:53:02 GMT, Simon
wrote:

We're in the process of fixing up a lovely '68 mercedies cotswold
camper but we're not sure about seatbelts for our two kids (a 4 and a
6 year old).
The only proper seats are in the cab the rest are just foam cushions
in the back that convert to beds.

I'd welcome opinion as to wether I should should add 3 point seatbelt
fittings or lapbelts. Perhaps try to source some seats from a van?

I do not know this for sure, but I thought I saw in print somewhere
that the law had changed, so that forward-facing seats with seatbelts
were now a requirement for all passengers. I suggest a little further
research.

-
Regards, VivienB

Old August 6th 05, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
RB News

wrote:

We're in the process of fixing up a lovely '68 mercedies cotswold
camper but we're not sure about seatbelts for our two kids (a 4 and a
6 year old).
The only proper seats are in the cab the rest are just foam cushions
in the back that convert to beds.

I'd welcome opinion as to wether I should should add 3 point seatbelt
fittings or lapbelts. Perhaps try to source some seats from a van?

I do not know this for sure, but I thought I saw in print somewhere
that the law had changed, so that forward-facing seats with seatbelts
were now a requirement for all passengers. I suggest a little further
research.

-
Regards, VivienB

Not yet, but soon:

"Seat belts, if provided, must be worn by all passengers in forward-facing
seats. You are strongly advised not to travel in side-facing seats, and this
is likely to become a legal requirement on new motorhomes before long.
Indeed, this legislation is scheduled for 2006, assuming there are no
delays - it's not very far away. "

quoted from the following page which has lots of information specific to
motorcaravans:
http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/features/law.html

So basically, if you are travelling in a seat which has seatbelts fitted,
you must wear them. Irrespective of the advice and the common-sense safety
arguments, there is no law at present against travelling in seats in the
rear of a motorhome which do not have seat belts fitted (some would argue
that fitting seat belts to side or rear facing seats can be more dangerous
than having none). AFAIK (and I have previously researched this), there is
no law that says you MUST occupy forward facing seats fitted with seat belts
if they are available, rather than other seats, only that if you do occupy
them you MUST belt up.

Note that if weighing up the safety aspects, you should consider the
potential safety of ALL passengers when deciding who occupies the belted
seats - as the article effectively says, unbelted heavier passengers can do
more damage to other passengers as missiles in a collision. So do you strap
in the kids or overweight Dad??*

cheers
Rog
* e.g. me - my wife always drives the 'van when we're out as a family and my
teenage daughter rides shot-gun leaving me in the back as potential ICBM

Old August 6th 05, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Hilary

"RB News" wrote in message

I know they dont recommend a lap belt for side facing seats but I've always
wondered whether a full racing harness ( over both shoulders etc) would
actually be as safe as the inertia belts in the front facing seats?? Or a
baby seat?

At the moment with all offsping flown the nest the only users of the rear
sidefacing lapbelts are the dogs in their travel harness but of course
grandchildren may arrive eventually. The layout of the camper would only
allow for 1 forward facing belted seat assuming we could find safe anchorage
points.