What Sealant?

Old August 13th 05, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
David Westerman[_2_]

Default What Sealant?

I have to replace the broken fresh water filler cap and lock on my Trigano
Tribute and have at last managed to get the right parts from Autotrail.

The broken part is fastened to the "white van" metal panel with 4 self
tapping screws (I assume) and large amounts of a white/grey sealant which I
will have to cut through with a sharp blade.

When I replace the part, will ordinary bathroom silicone sealant be the
right stuff to use or is there something better? Can someone recommend the
right stuff to get (hopefully tomorrow from B&Q, Focus or Wickes)

Thanks for all useful advice.

Dave W.

Old August 13th 05, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Mike Williams[_2_]

"David Westerman" wrote in message ...

The broken part is fastened to the "white van" metal panel with 4
self tapping screws (I assume) and large amounts of a white/grey
sealant which I will have to cut through with a sharp blade. When I
replace the part, will ordinary bathroom silicone sealant be the
right stuff to use or is there something better?

Don't use ordinary silicon sealant. You need to use a proper non setting mastic sealant specially designed for the job. You can buy it in tubes or in rolls (like a continuous strip of flexible mastix). There are all sort of different makes. Have a look at the following for starters:

http://www.gocaravanning.com/caravan...an_windows.htm

http://camperlands.co.uk/store/erol.... t%26spell%3D1

Mike

Old August 14th 05, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
David Westerman[_2_]

"Mike Williams" wrote in message :-
"Don't use ordinary silicon sealant. You need to use a proper non setting mastic sealant specially designed for the job. You can buy it in tubes or in rolls (like a continuous strip of flexible mastix). There are all sort of different makes."

Thanks for that. I wonder if there are any other thoughts out there. I've now got the old filler off and it was well and truly stuck with a flexible sealant which had to be cut through. It looked like silicone to me.

It certainly wasn't the same non-setting sealant used under the corner strips and round the windows of a static caravan. I mean the stuff that is still sticky below the surface if you disturb it!

Dave W.

Old August 15th 05, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
DaveK

certainly wasn't the same non-setting sealant used under the corner strips and round the windows of a static caravan. I mean the stuff that is still sticky below the surface if you disturb it!

Might be frame sealant as used on double glazed window frames. Remains flexible but not as jelly like as silicone.
DaveK.
Old August 15th 05, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
DaveK

Old August 15th 05, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Lenny

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 20:42:42 +0100, "David Westerman"
wrote:

I have to replace the broken fresh water filler cap and lock on my Trigano
Tribute and have at last managed to get the right parts from Autotrail.

The broken part is fastened to the "white van" metal panel with 4 self
tapping screws (I assume) and large amounts of a white/grey sealant which I
will have to cut through with a sharp blade.

When I replace the part, will ordinary bathroom silicone sealant be the
right stuff to use or is there something better? Can someone recommend the
right stuff to get (hopefully tomorrow from B&Q, Focus or Wickes)

Thanks for all useful advice.

Dave W.

For a small area like that silicon will be fine.

Lenny