Towbar - Boxer based Explorer Coachbuilt

Old August 25th 05, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Tony Shelley

Default Towbar - Boxer based Explorer Coachbuilt

Hi,

Has anyone any experience of fitting a towbar to a Peugeot based Compass /
Elddis motorhome?

Ours is a 2.0 HDi Compass Avantgarde 200 and we're thinking of
'occasionally' towing our Corsa on a twin axle trailer.

Obviously there's no aerodynamic effort, just the weight of the car /
trailer combo, is this likely to cause too much of a problem? Also, is the
reduced departure angle / rear clearance going to be a problem?

I've seen a number of similar sized 'vans either towing trailers or A-frames
so it is being done (pristine, tax exempt MG Midget was the nicest set-up
I've seen). I know the theory, would just like some views from people who've
been there, done that etc.

That said, finding out maximum train weight is proving a little trickier
than I imagined, any input here also gratefully received.

Thanks in advance, keep waving

Tony & Debbie

Old September 22nd 05, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
[email protected]

I asked Elddis about fitting a towbar to my Peugeot based Autostratus
EB .They said,"Elddis do not recommend fitting towbars".

It happened that I was in two minds anyway so I did not ask for the
technical reasons for their answer.

Perhaps a word with Alco (in my case) or whoever supplied the
"caravan" chassis would be a first stop and them follow up with
enquires to Elddis.

I am not an expert on train weights but I believe that it is one of
the figures on the vin plate of the base vehicle. probably the highest
number. How this relates to a modifed vehicle I cannot imagine but at
a guess if you take the mgw of the motor van add the max weight of any
towed trailer/vehicle it probably should be less than the largest
weight on the vin plate.

(Just as a starting point).

I imagine experts will be jibbering when they read this but it is only
a "starting point suggestion" Not a recommendation!!

John
Presently suffering from too much blood in the alcohol stream!!

Five minutes later........Feeling better, courtesy of Scottish
medication from the Isle of Mull.

Old September 22nd 05, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Josiah Jenkins

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 19:34:35 GMT, I read these words from :

I asked Elddis about fitting a towbar to my Peugeot based Autostratus
EB .They said,"Elddis do not recommend fitting towbars".

It happened that I was in two minds anyway so I did not ask for the
technical reasons for their answer.

Perhaps a word with Alco (in my case) or whoever supplied the
"caravan" chassis would be a first stop and them follow up with
enquires to Elddis.

Al-Ko ?
In which case you can get a towbar directly from them,
although the cost might put you off - 320 (incl towball)

Main Switchboard - 01926 818500
Ask for Sales.

-- JJJ

Old September 28th 05, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Joe[_4_]

Suggest you contact Towtal - they are towing experts - their website is
http://www.towtal.co.uk - speak to Bill there and he will keep you right!

/