Tyre shedding its tread

Old September 4th 05, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
John Barnfield[_2_]

Default Tyre shedding its tread

My year 2000 Autosleeper shed the tread on the rear nearside wheel the other
day causing the omnistep to be ripped off and damage to the fibreglass wheel
arch. The tyres are vehicle original ones therefore 5 years old and
26000miles with little wear. I use the camper about 6 times a year and it
is standing on my drive for periods of one or two months - mainly in winter.

Has anybody on this group had a similar experience with a motorhome?

I suspect that it may have been caused by lack of use, with the vehicle
standing for relatively long periods (with the sun on the tyres). There
must be lots of other similar motorhome owners who use their vehicle in a
similar frequency to myself? Are there any general guidelines for when tyres
should be replaced even though the tread is fine?

I would appreciate any comments that might help me in my decision on whether
to replace all my tyres.

Thanks

Old September 4th 05, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Springtime

Tyre replacement on a motorhome is about every 5 years regardless of the
mileage.
The vehicle standing around increases the wear on the sidewalls unevenly
together with the effect of sunlight degrades the tyre.- My last motorhome
had tyres replaced after 5 years with only 15k on them - the tyre fitter
commented on the cracking of the sidewalls - said they were dangerous.

SH

Old September 5th 05, 06:37 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Nick \(Scots\)

"John Barnfield" wrote in message

My year 2000 Autosleeper shed the tread on the rear nearside wheel the
other day causing the omnistep to be ripped off and damage to the
fibreglass wheel arch. The tyres are vehicle original ones therefore 5
years old and 26000miles with little wear. I use the camper about 6 times
a year and it is standing on my drive for periods of one or two months -
mainly in winter.

Standing unused, low use, high tyre pressures.

Replace them every two yrs rather than a mileage.

Nick

Old September 7th 05, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
SandS

"John Barnfield" wrote
in message ...
[...]

You should not leave it standing on one place on the tyres for
long periods. I take mine out for a good run at least once a
fortnight in winter and in the meantime its parked with UV tyre
covers on all 4 wheels ( www.bags4everything.co.uk , product
called "Parked wheel cover and tyre protector" he
http://www.bags4everything.co.uk/index.asp?catID=A ) .

I would consider 5 years risky even with these precautions. If
you took the weight off the tyres completely and ideally stored
them in the dark off the vehicle that would probably be the
ultimate but a lot of hassle and it is far better for the brakes
and other mechanicals to be used regularly as well.

Best wishes,
Steve

Old September 10th 05, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Springtime

One final thing to take into account is that the base vehicle unit for a lot
of coachbuilts has been standing for some time before it is converted into a
motorhome.
In some cases this can be up to a year.
So your tyres may be over a year old when the vehicle is sold as new.
SH

"SandS" wrote in message

"John Barnfield" wrote in
message ...

Old September 10th 05, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Springtime

One final thing to take into account is that the base vehicle unit for a lot
of coachbuilts has been standing for some time before it is converted into a
motorhome.
In some cases this can be up to a year.
So your tyres may be over a year old when the vehicle is sold as new.
SH

"SandS" wrote in message

"John Barnfield" wrote in
message ...