Tyre shedding its tread

Old September 4th 05, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
John Barnfield[_2_]

Default Tyre shedding its tread

My year 2000 Autosleeper shed the tread on the rear nearside wheel the other
day causing the omnistep to be ripped off and damage to the fibreglass wheel
arch. The tyres are vehicle original ones therefore 5 years old and
26000miles with little wear. I use the camper about 6 times a year and it
is standing on my drive for periods of one or two months - mainly in winter.

Has anybody on this group had a similar experience with a motorhome?

I suspect that it may have been caused by lack of use, with the vehicle
standing for relatively long periods (with the sun on the tyres). There
must be lots of other similar motorhome owners who use their vehicle in a
similar frequency to myself? Are there any general guidelines for when tyres
should be replaced even though the tread is fine?

I would appreciate any comments that might help me in my decision on whether
to replace all my tyres.

Thanks