What's the biggest, Most economic, 1800 campervan around?

Old September 7th 05, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Tommohawk

Default What's the biggest, Most economic, 1800 campervan around?

I'm desperatly trying to find impartial advice on low end campers. I
need to buy one which will be as cheap to run as possible (VERY
IMPORTANT) and obviously as reliable as pos. I need at least 1 double
bed and the ability to stand upright inside (I'm 6'3"). Needs to ge me
to portugal and back within about 6 months. Can anyone help me.

All advice strongly welcomed :?

Old September 7th 05, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy R

"Tommohawk" wrote in message
I'm desperatly trying to find impartial advice on low end campers. I
need to buy one which will be as cheap to run as possible (VERY
IMPORTANT) and obviously as reliable as pos. I need at least 1 double
bed and the ability to stand upright inside (I'm 6'3"). Needs to ge me
to portugal and back within about 6 months. Can anyone help me.

If you can raise a loan buy a decent newish one privately or from Germany
now, at the end of the season, and sell it again in 6 months time, the
beginning of the season. You'll probably lose less than 1800 on the deal
and that way you get something reliable.

Rgds

Andy R

Old September 7th 05, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
CampinGazz

"Tommohawk" wrote in message
I'm desperatly trying to find impartial advice on low end campers. I
need to buy one which will be as cheap to run as possible (VERY
IMPORTANT) and obviously as reliable as pos. I need at least 1 double
bed and the ability to stand upright inside (I'm 6'3"). Needs to ge me
to portugal and back within about 6 months. Can anyone help me.

All advice strongly welcomed :?

Reliable, cheap and cheap to run camper vans dont go for 1800,

for that price you'll be looking at a rusty type 2 VW with an engine that
works occasionaly, and not much else.

If that's really your budget, then your best bet is to go to that road in
london where the aussies sell their clapped out vans they've bought there a
year before to travel round europe in,
they go for next to nothing, becasue that's what they're worth, but it's
something that allows them to see some of europe cheaply,

If your very lucky you may get something for around 5 grand hidden round the
back of a dealer, they'll be hiding it as it'll be pretty manky, and they
wont want to be associated with selling something like that,

otherwise ebay is your only hope, but if it's half decent there'll be plenty
of others after it, and the average for a half decent camper van is around
10 grand,

Old September 7th 05, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Alan Holmes

"CampinGazz" wrote in message

"Tommohawk" wrote in message
I'm desperatly trying to find impartial advice on low end campers. I
need to buy one which will be as cheap to run as possible (VERY
IMPORTANT) and obviously as reliable as pos. I need at least 1 double
bed and the ability to stand upright inside (I'm 6'3"). Needs to ge me
to portugal and back within about 6 months. Can anyone help me.

All advice strongly welcomed :?

Reliable, cheap and cheap to run camper vans dont go for 1800,

for that price you'll be looking at a rusty type 2 VW with an engine that
works occasionaly, and not much else.

If that's really your budget, then your best bet is to go to that road in
london where the aussies sell their clapped out vans they've bought there
year before to travel round europe in,
they go for next to nothing, becasue that's what they're worth, but it's
something that allows them to see some of europe cheaply,

I used to know where this place is, but the memory being not as good as it
used to be, I've forgotten, can you remind me?
--
Alan

Reply to alan (dot) holmes27 (at) virgin (dot) net

Old September 7th 05, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Tommohawk

Default What's the biggest, Most economic, 1800 campervan aroun

I've seen numerous campers for around 2000 which operate without
major problems.

I have been looking on ebay for the past 2 weeks non stop, and unless
90% of the sellers are lying about the reliability of their vans, it
does seem easily possible to find a van in this price range. (e.g -
type in Bedford 1979 in to ebay and have a look at the camper which
comes up.

I obviously do not expect a mint condition camper for that price. I am
merely trying to find out which are the best campers in that price
range to go for - Ie - which campers have stood the test of time and
still chug along hapily.

I have known many people in the past who have bought campers for
between 2 and 3 thou. None o them had big probs - only prob is I
disn't take much interest at the time so IO dont know which models
and makes they were.

I think I could be asking this question in the wrong place. I think my
standards must be lower than those of people who are enthusiasts. I
just need a place to sleep on wheels -

thanks for the advice anyway - I'll definatly think about buying new -
not too happy about getting a loan at the mo tho

take it easy campers

Old September 7th 05, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
RB News

If that's really your budget, then your best bet is to go to that road
in
london where the aussies sell their clapped out vans they've bought

there
year before to travel round europe in,
they go for next to nothing, becasue that's what they're worth, but it's
something that allows them to see some of europe cheaply,

I used to know where this place is, but the memory being not as good as it
used to be, I've forgotten, can you remind me?
--
Alan

Always used to be on the South Bank around the areas entering Waterloo
Bridge/Hungerford Bridge, round the back of the National Theatre/National
Film Theatre.
Rog