First Motorhome Opinions Requested

Old October 8th 05, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Lurch[_2_]

Default First Motorhome Opinions Requested

Hi All,

We're new to all this, but after getting a small dog recently, we
decided to get a motorhome to tour the UK and France initially. No
kids, me 6'4 and fat, wife small, one Jack Russell.

Don't really need a garage onboard, wife likes a rear lounge layout.

After getting a few magazines, I took the wife to see a Compass 400RL
which, at 25k new, seemed like a good first van.

Trouble is, they also had an Auto Trail 840 on the site, and the wife
fell in love with the build quality, layout and extras and ended up
telling me that we "had to get one with a separate toilet/shower and a
privacy screen midway to shut off the lounge from the rest of the van"

She of course ignored the 25k price premium for the 840 over the
Compass, and has probably excluded 99% of the available vans on the
market, but she has given me the job of finding a happy medium.

For my sins, I'd prefer a Merc base I think. Or are the Fiat chassis
cabs good these days?

Anyone got any ideas? Any input much appreciated.

TIA
Old October 11th 05, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Lurch[_2_]

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 19:39:10 +0100, Tone wrote:

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 18:29:02 +0100, Lurch wrote:

[...]

Well thanks a lot then group. Presumably you're all too busy emptying
your cholostomy bags to to bother replying.

Sod the lot of you.

Old October 11th 05, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
John[_10_]

Lurch wrote in message ...
[...]

We bought our first this year too, we opted for a Compass Avantgarde, and
it's perfect for two but we also have a dog plus two stroppy teenagers so
it's a little cramped. Give it a couple of years and the said stroppy teens
will not want to bother so should be perfect then!!
I'd go for the compass, the Merc, you pay a lot for the name.

Old October 11th 05, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Hilary

Lurch wrote in message ...
On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 19:39:10 +0100, Tone wrote:
Well thanks a lot then group. Presumably you're all too busy emptying
your cholostomy bags to to bother replying.

Sod the lot of you.

Bless!! Not exactly the best way of being answered on any group.

This is only a small , lightly subscribed group. I'm sure posters wernt
ignoring you. Sometimes a week goes by without a post or reply. They are a
good bunch. Help or opinion is usually forthcoming but you have to exercise
a bit of patience.

We have a 10yr+ 6 birth Autotrail Pulman Six, which would have been a luxury
model in its day, with blown air ch etc. The layout of the older vans is
more to my taste I think. Plenty of room for 2, 2dogs and 2 hamsters - I
think we would feel a bit clostrophobic with 6 people in it though??
We are very comfortable. Looked at newer models but cant find anything
better at the moment.

Other advantages with older vans seem to be bigger shower rooms, more
individual in style, and of course if you prang the bumper which - will
happen eventually - you wont be suicidal.

Disadvantages range from more thorough maintenance needed, the driving seats
arnt as flexible ( course you can put a new one in) and smaller fridges.
Reversing camera etc dont come as standard so you have to fit them imo they
are very necessary. Cars have a very nasty habit of driving in your blind
spot so you have no idea they're there unless you have one.

)

Old October 11th 05, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Smudge[_3_]

Lurch wrote in message ...
[...]

I cant say much technically about the vans you mentioned, suffice to say 25k
must get you a decent one whatever the make, women OTOH can be very
difficult, explain to the wife that van choosing is not within the scope of
the female brain, only the male brain has sufficient capacity to cope when
it comes to choosing mechanical objects, baffle her with a bit of science
saying things like "do you know what the cubic capacity is" and "have you
any idea what the fuel consumption is on a monster like that" this should pu
t her off van selecting for life, then tell her she can choose the colour of
the curtains which should keep her happy for the next 12 months.

Old October 12th 05, 02:49 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Hilary

"Smudge" wrote in message

I cant say much technically about the vans you mentioned, suffice to say
25k
must get you a decent one whatever the make, women OTOH can be very
difficult, explain to the wife that van choosing is not within the scope
of
the female brain,

lol.

Arn't men brave when the wife's out of earshot!!!

)