LCD TV's

Old November 1st 03, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

Default LCD TV's

Just seen in our local Sainsbury's (Worthing Sussex)15" LCD TV's for
299

Lenny
Old November 1st 03, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Lenny" wrote in message
Just seen in our local Sainsbury's (Worthing Sussex)15" LCD TV's for
299

!2volt needed for a caravan, are they?

Please reply to News Group.

Old November 1st 03, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Darren Griffin - PocketGPS

Lenny wrote:
Just seen in our local Sainsbury's (Worthing Sussex)15" LCD TV's for
299

Lenny

Saw them too, a no-name brand. Argos sell a 15" LG TFT TV for 349, for 50
extra I'd go with the well known brand. Both are 240v only though
--
Darren Griffin
Pocket GPS World - http://www.pocketgpsworld.com

Old November 1st 03, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Darren Griffin - PocketGPS" wrote in
message ...
Lenny wrote:
Just seen in our local Sainsbury's (Worthing Sussex)15" LCD TV's for
299

Lenny

Saw them too, a no-name brand. Argos sell a 15" LG TFT TV for 349, for

50
extra I'd go with the well known brand. Both are 240v only though
--

Would think Sainsburys would look after you if things did not work out.

Please reply to News Group.

Old November 1st 03, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Doc

Lenny wrote in message . ..
Just seen in our local Sainsbury's (Worthing Sussex)15" LCD TV's for
299

---****----
Hi Lenny,

Grief, that's a hell of a lot less than I paid at the beginning of the
year. {:-(

Although mine gives a great picture etc. it is far more directional
for viewing than an ordinary TV. This is a definite nuisance in my
Hobby, where the TV 'table' is quite high up, and these LCD screens
are hopeless when viewed from below the normal viewing angle. It has
tilt for tilting up, but not down!

This means that it can't be properly viewed 'in bed' with the TV on
its specific pull-out table. D**n & blast. Forget the jokes!

Cheers, Doc.
Old November 2nd 03, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stuart Bell

Lenny wrote:

Just seen in our local Sainsbury's (Worthing Sussex)15" LCD TV's for
299

Also, Maplin have a 7" LCD TV (with A/V i/p for DVD & PS etc) for, ISTR,
180. Certainly half previous price.

Stuart

--
Spamfritterspam exists only in the world of the address
harvesting spam bot. Try stuartsmacs at the same domain
Old November 2nd 03, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Westwell

The viewing angle on LCD's is an interesting subject....

I am aware of recent improvements with viewing angles and assume that the
top end monitors offer a wider viewing angle? I have no idea where these
improvements in LCD technology will stop, will it be possible to have LCD's
with similar viewing angles to CRT's? Harry.. are you able to comment on
this?

What I'd love to have in the caravan is an LCD multistandard TV (10" screen)
with a "reasonable spec" PC capable of running XP effectively (located in
the back of the monitor) with remote keyboard/mouse and Bluetooth to allow
connection to the internet via the mobile and GPRS....... One day!

Regards,

Paul

"Doc" wrote in message
om...

. ..

Old November 2nd 03, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 21:03:37 -0000, "David"
wrote:

"Lenny" wrote in message
.. .
Just seen in our local Sainsbury's (Worthing Sussex)15" LCD TV's for
299

!2volt needed for a caravan, are they?

Sorry didn't check only poped in quickly & noticed them. Although I
have a 12 V TV I only tend to use it in the winter when on mains.

Lenny
Old November 2nd 03, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike R

"Paul Westwell" wrote in message
The viewing angle on LCD's is an interesting subject....

I am aware of recent improvements with viewing angles and assume that the
top end monitors offer a wider viewing angle? I have no idea where these
improvements in LCD technology will stop, will it be possible to have

LCD's
with similar viewing angles to CRT's? Harry.. are you able to comment on
this?

What I'd love to have in the caravan is an LCD multistandard TV (10"

screen)
with a "reasonable spec" PC capable of running XP effectively (located in
the back of the monitor) with remote keyboard/mouse and Bluetooth to allow
connection to the internet via the mobile and GPRS....... One day!

Regards,

Hi Paul,

What you need is a tablet PC, with a wireless KB + Mouse, TV USB
.....However, a couple of grand may be too much ... Try www.simply.co.uk
search for tablet pc, Toshiba portege 3500, 1,400...and your internet
access http://www.datastorm-mobile-satellite.co.uk/ OR hense my comment in
a previous post about sites should offer WI-FI..

...then I go to get away from all of the above, except the TV/DVD - this
keeps the kids amused whilst putting up an awning!

moving back OT, we bought the Tsvensen TV
http://www.transleisure.co.uk/ht_doc...ml#tsvenson-tv,
good quality, however, I agree about the angle at which you can view it at
and its 12V

Regards

Mike

Old November 2nd 03, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Big Tim

Paul Westwell wrote:

The viewing angle on LCD's is an interesting subject....

I am aware of recent improvements with viewing angles and assume that the
top end monitors offer a wider viewing angle? I have no idea where these
improvements in LCD technology will stop, will it be possible to have LCD's
with similar viewing angles to CRT's? Harry.. are you able to comment on
this?

What I'd love to have in the caravan is an LCD multistandard TV (10" screen)
with a "reasonable spec" PC capable of running XP effectively (located in
the back of the monitor) with remote keyboard/mouse and Bluetooth to allow
connection to the internet via the mobile and GPRS....... One day!

Regards,

Paul

Well Paul, what you'd like is doable now.

In the latest edition of Computer Buyer (IIRC) they examine
"Lifestyle" PC's and there's an "all in one" where the PC gubbins is
at the back of the TFT monitor. So it looks like a thick TFT screen.
I can't remember the price or how easy it is to add stuff inside the
PC, such as a TV card.

Also, there's the Mini-ITX size motherboards that are used in many of
the new "cube" style PCs. These can run XP and you can get an
inverter(?) that'll allow you to run them from 12vDC. A place for
information is www.mini-itx.com. Ignore the "projects" and go to the
store and see what cases you can get now. I used them to source a
cube case and have put together a system running W2K which has all my
MP3s and music videos on. Dvd drive for watching films and hooks up
to a regular TFT screen. A wireless keyboard and mouse that can be
stuffed in a drawer when not in use completes the kit.

So, if you added a PCI to PCMCIA adapter then you can by a PCMCIA
modem card that uses the SIM out of your mobile phone. I found a
doule slot here http://www.elandigitalsystems.com/adapter/p222.php so
that you could slot your GPRS http://www.premierelect.co.uk/pcgps.html
card in at the same time. Or get a bluetooth adapter instead of the
modem if your mobile is bluetooth.

Get a PCI or USB TV/FM card depending on what fits the PC case and
that about covers your wishlist.

I do think that you'll get your dream PC sooner if you build it
yourself though. Somehow I don't see PC world deciding to commision
the build of a couple of thousand 12v TFT based mini PCs the apeal to
the Caravaners of this world. Now do I have a business idea?

By the way, I added the URLs as examples not as a plug.

HTH.

--
Big Tim
RD400E, Bandit 12, XR400R (in length of service order)