Taking Dogs abroad

Old November 2nd 03, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mot

Default Taking Dogs abroad

Does anyone have experience of taking one's pet dog on holiday to France
and Spain. I'm up to speed on the regs for France i.e Forms Pet3 and 5
however to enter Spain I am informed that you require a special import
licence. What happens when returning to France from Spain etc.
Regards
Mot

Old November 2nd 03, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

Mot wrote in news:3FA4D341.7D3AB2D5
@clara.co.uk:

Does anyone have experience of taking one's pet dog on holiday to
France and Spain. I'm up to speed on the regs for France i.e Forms Pet3
and 5 however to enter Spain I am informed that you require a special
import licence. What happens when returning to France from Spain etc.

We had our labrador "chipped" intending to take her with us to France.
However, our vet's warning of diseases endemic in Europe that were not in
UK, and hence against which she'd have little immunity, worried us enough
to forget the idea. We now leave her with friends when venturing abroad.

You have to get your dog treated against ticks and tapeworm 24 to 48
hours before boarding for your return journey. That is, not less than 24
hours and not more than 48 hours. That narrow time band can pose problems
and I've heard stories of French vets failing to honour bookings and/or
not having the proper form. I've also heard of ferry delays causing
owners to miss the 24-hour window, thus forcing the them to choose
between aborting the crossing, or leaving their pet in quarantine for six
months on return.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quar...res/owners.htm
gives the requirements for re-entry into UK.

--
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK
Old November 2nd 03, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger M

I am not aware of any extra requirements for Spain.

The DEFRA site should tell you.

We take our dog at least twice a year to France and have done so each year
since the scheme started. As we go for 6 to 8 weeks at a time leaving the
dog in kennels would be a huge financial burden and, in any case, we have
our dog as a companion animal!

I suggest you ignore all the scare stories. I have found French Vets. most
helpful and had absolutely no bother provided you have ALL the papers in
order. I even found that at the height of the Foot and Mouth Disease episode
French farmers allowed us to visit them with our dog.

The only warning I would give is not to allow your dog to wander, (which of
course you should not do, anywhere) as the French do use animal traps and
put down poison bate for vermin.

Roger M

Old November 2nd 03, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
tony

we took dogs last year and the french vet was wonderful,
he only charged 24 to imunise and fill out forms for our two dogs, more
than i can say for english vet who charged 90 pounds for just filling same
forms in, but you have to get your timing right for coming home which isnt a
problem really

Old November 2nd 03, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ben Franklin

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
[...]

DEFRA don't seem to be much help, and when you contact them you get a
different version of the regulations depending on who you speak to.

The EC is in the process of producing EU wide regulations regarding the
transportation of pets across borders. It seems likely that the two yearly
rabies booster, which is approved in the UK, may be reduced to one year,
despite the fact that Nobivac declare it is wholly suitable for two yearly
administration.

As far as French vets are concerned I have found them to be excellent and
very helpful. Their charges are far cheaper than here in the UK. You just
need to make sure that you plan your return journey to make that twenty-four
hour window. The question of quarantine for six months does not arise. If
you miss the window you won't be allowed to board the ferry. If by chance
there is a problem, your dog will be treated in the UK and you will have to
leave it for the obligatory 24 hours.

Those scare stories are just that. I treat my dog with Frontline as soon as
we hit France so that ticks won't be a problem. There may be problems in
southern Spain but I'm sure your vet will advise on any precautions that are
necessary.

Ben Franklin

Old November 2nd 03, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Al Stevenson

In message , Mot
writes
Does anyone have experience of taking one's pet dog on holiday to France
and Spain. I'm up to speed on the regs for France i.e Forms Pet3 and 5
however to enter Spain I am informed that you require a special import
licence. What happens when returning to France from Spain etc.
Regards
Mot

We have taken our dogs aboard every year since the PETS scheme came in.
Remember that the scheme is a totally British thing as it was the UK
that had the punitive quarantine provisions in place!

By the way the forms you need are the PETS1 (not PETS3) and PETS5

When we went from France to Spain there was no checks made on either us
or the dogs at the border any year. I had my UK PETS5 (export
certificate) with me - and these are now valid for 2 years so I would
have thought that these would have been sufficient.
It may be that the special Spanish licence would only be needed if you
were entering Spain through a port! (Even so I have never had to produce
my licences when entering France!) If in any doubt I would contact the
Spanish Tourist Office. Your vet should be able to give you definitive
advice and supply such a certificate.
Has any one else come across this?

We had no adverse warnings from our local vet - only from our local
kennel who could see their losing out on 4 dogs for 3 weeks! (4 dogs for
15 nights @ 5.50 each is a big saving to me!)
The kennels raised the scare question of heart-worm and I discussed it
with my vet who said that there was a preparation that worked instead of
a UK flea treatment (Stronghold if I remember it right) and he advised
us to use that for the three months before travel to put our minds at
rest. We now do this a routine matter.

Make sure that you take all your vaccination records with you as a
campsite may ask to see them (it has happened to me at least once in
each visit)

When planning your holiday start at the end and make sure that you know
where you will be for the treatment day (between 24 and 48 hours before
sailing). Get in touch with a local vet and book your appointment well
in advance. Make sure that the vet has a scanner that can read the chip
(more vets are getting them, but remember that in France the standard ID
is still tattooing) and ask them to make sure that they have the
official forms as it must be the official forms when you arrive back at
your port. Be prepared for them worming the dog by injection rather than
tablets - and if they are going to do this ask them to jab in the scruff
as we do in the UK otherwise they do it in bum! Our little one cried
started to cry out when they put on the tick / flea treatment after that
A tip - double check the vets writing down of your dog's chip numbers as
any error could cause rejection of the certificate and you would have to
start over again with the treatment (24 to 48 hours etc. etc.)

Make sure that your rabies vaccinations take place before the expiry of
your PETS1 as if you went over the due date you would then have to go
through the whole procedure of blood tests etc. again that you have just
gone through
The only downturn to it is the 30 per dog charged by the companies for
"administration" when you have to do all the scanning etc. yourself!
It's grand having your little (or big) friends with you when you go
abroad. The PETS scheme has meant that we can consider longer periods
abroad than we could have otherwise afforded.

Have fun!
--
Al Stevenson

Old November 2nd 03, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

"Roger M" wrote in message
I am not aware of any extra requirements for Spain.

The DEFRA site should tell you.

We take our dog at least twice a year to France and have done so each year
since the scheme started. As we go for 6 to 8 weeks at a time leaving the
dog in kennels would be a huge financial burden and, in any case, we have
our dog as a companion animal!

I suggest you ignore all the scare stories. I have found French Vets. most
helpful and had absolutely no bother provided you have ALL the papers in
order. I even found that at the height of the Foot and Mouth Disease

episode
French farmers allowed us to visit them with our dog.

The only warning I would give is not to allow your dog to wander, (which

of
course you should not do, anywhere) as the French do use animal traps and
put down poison bate for vermin.

I assume you mean 'anywhere' in France .... sure you do reading your text
.... (and maybe some other countries).

I have some friends that have taken their dogs abroad for 6-8 week periods
(typically France and Spain) and their experience has been good.

If I did a similar period I certainly wouldn't leave my two gun dogs behind
....... it would break my heart ..... treasures that they are.

Richard

---

Old November 3rd 03, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mot

We have taken our dogs aboard every year since the PETS scheme came in.
Remember that the scheme is a totally British thing as it was the UK
that had the punitive quarantine provisions in place!

By the way the forms you need are the PETS1 (not PETS3) and PETS5

Yes, my mistake.

[...]

Should we buy or rent a scanner to take with us?

[...]

Most grateful for your comprehensive reply,
Cheers -Tom
(Antispam-remove pants to email)

Old November 3rd 03, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mot

Mot wrote:

Does anyone have experience of taking one's pet dog on holiday to France
and Spain. I'm up to speed on the regs for France i.e Forms Pet3 and 5
however to enter Spain I am informed that you require a special import
licence. What happens when returning to France from Spain etc.
Regards
Mot

For information, My wife has been in touch with DEFRA this morning ref
taking pets into Spain, she was told that a special export certificate is
definately required for entry into Spain as they are not part of the pet
passport scheme unlike France. So it appears that this certificate is
required whether your entry into Spain is direct or via France.
This certificate is only valid for 10 days.
regards
Tom

Old November 3rd 03, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mot

.
This certificate is only valid for 10 days.

That doesn't quite read correctly, what I meant to say is that you must use it
to enter Spain within 10 days of the cert being issued or it becomes invalid.
I hope that's clearer.