Carver Cascade Rapide outside flue

Old November 2nd 03, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Caravanoy

Default Carver Cascade Rapide outside flue

After another moan at my Dealer yesterday about the fact that my flame keeps
going out when windy, he has informed me that there is now a known problem with
this flue cowl, and new independant tests have shown that it does not conform
to Gas Appliances safety regs.
I was given a copy of the test report which requires that "Appliances must be
so constructed that when used normally, flame stability is assured and
combustion products do not contain unacceptable concentrations of substances
harmful to health" ( quote)

Apparently, a new cowl is now available which is directly interchangeable with
mine, and does conform to BS EN 624.2000 which is the appropriate standard. I
have ordered one, as it would appear to have safety implications as well as the
continual annoyance of the flame going out.

This was apparently discovered by some guys who have had a range of Cascade
spare parts produced separately and are now marketing them to Dealers
nationally.

Anyone else experienced this ?

Derek
Old November 2nd 03, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
CampinGazz

"Caravanoy" wrote in message
snip
I was given a copy of the test report which requires that "Appliances

must be
so constructed that when used normally, flame stability is assured and
combustion products do not contain unacceptable concentrations of

substances
harmful to health" ( quote)

Apparently, a new cowl is now available which is directly interchangeable

with
mine, and does conform to BS EN 624.2000 which is the appropriate

standard. I
have ordered one, as it would appear to have safety implications as well

as the
continual annoyance of the flame going out.

Anyone else experienced this ?

I've not experianced this.. but i have seen what can happen in bad cases,
i was at the bloke who posts on here who sells the replacement controll
boards for the cascades place a month ago, seeing about a space heater (not
sure what to get now, but need something that's legal to be usid on the
move.. seems like a new truma S3002K is needed

He told me about the problem with the cascade heaters when a strong wind
blows accross the cowl/flue sideways, basicaly the flames get starved of
oxygeb.. as the wind is causing a venturi effect i imagine, and not allowing
any more air into the heaters intake,

So the flame goes searching for oxygen.. if it finds none.. it goes out.. an
annoyance to the user, but that's all,

However when the heater has been used a lot, the seal between the burner and
the controll board (which is inside the van) dosent seal as good as it
should.. so the flames can find the oxygen they need.... coming from the not
so perfect seal that leads to the inside of the van.. and behind there is
the controll board housed in a plastic case,

Well the flames get drawn to the oxygen coming in from the controll board
area, and the plastic housing behind there gets melted by the heat.. then
the circuit board gets a little bit fried, and you end up with a mess of
molten plastic where the circuit board covere used to be when you
investigate a problem with the hot water heater.

He showed me a very bad case of what can happen, and before i put my cascade
in my next van i'm building, i'll be makins sure the seal between the flame
area and inside of the heater is perfect,

It's nice to know there is a modified cowl available now tho, before trum
who took over carver were saying no problem existed,

Are you able to let me know where to get the new cowl from, and how much it
costs??
as i've been thinking about not putting the cascade in my next van, and
fitting another water heater.

Old November 3rd 03, 08:08 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Caravanoy

Gazz
Not sure on the cost yet, approx 45, I believe, but they are being
distributed to the trade by a Co in Beverley E Yorks called
caravanparts.net. He is also selling replacement tanks and burner modules

Derek