Caravan radio

Old November 2nd 03, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Balcombe

Default Caravan radio

We are in the process of changing our aging Compass Rallye (1988) for a
slightly more youthful Elddis Hurricane XL (1994). It is always a marginal
decision from our viewpoint whether to take a TV away with us and we
frequently chose not to bother, but my wife and I do enjoy listening to the
radio especially radio 4. Herein lies the rub. My old van has an installed
car audio system the new one does not. In finding our new van I have seen a
number with poorly i.e. messily, installed systems.
Two questions: -
1. Am I right in assuming that to get decent FM performance it is virtually
essential to have an installed system with an external aerial because of the
shielding effect of an aluminum van?
2. Does anyone know of any decent articles on neat audio installation in
caravans?

PPeter

Old November 2nd 03, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Robert E A Harvey

"Peter Balcombe" wrote of radio
1. Am I right in assuming that to get decent FM performance it is

virtually
essential to have an installed system with an external aerial because of

the
shielding effect of an aluminum van?

This is basically true. But I know people who are perfectly happy with a
portable radio placed next to the window, on the side nearest the
transmitter. It depends on the area you are in. You'd be better off with
an omni broadcast antenna than with a telescopic car-style whip, although
the whip should give reasonable performance in most areas.

Old November 2nd 03, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Cole

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 18:53:27 -0000, "Peter Balcombe"
wrote:

We are in the process of changing our aging Compass Rallye (1988) for a
slightly more youthful Elddis Hurricane XL (1994). It is always a marginal
decision from our viewpoint whether to take a TV away with us and we
frequently chose not to bother, but my wife and I do enjoy listening to the
radio especially radio 4. Herein lies the rub. My old van has an installed
car audio system the new one does not. In finding our new van I have seen a
number with poorly i.e. messily, installed systems.
1. Am I right in assuming that to get decent FM performance it is virtually
essential to have an installed system with an external aerial because of the
shielding effect of an aluminum van?

Peter
If you are installing a car audio system, then make sure it
supports Long Wave (LW) as that's the only way to get Radio 4
aboard. I didn't want to make any holes, so I use a gutter mount
ariel either hanging from the window blind loop or if the blind
is down, wedged between it and the window. I should get a proper
external ariel (the Status radio ariel on top of the TV ariel
works as well as the TV ariel - not at all).

I installed my own system, but as I cannot get covers for the
rear of the speakers (you could in the 60's, what's this country
coming to ?), the installation is still not (in my mind) complete
and probably won't be until I can find some covers.

Richard
(ROT13 to e-mail me directly). See
http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk for most things to do with caravanning.
--
He was not going to be found wanting when duty called. He did not intend to be
found at all. - The Last Continent by Terry Pratchett
Old November 2nd 03, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mot

Peter Balcombe wrote:

We are in the process of changing our aging Compass Rallye (1988) for a
slightly more youthful Elddis Hurricane XL (1994). It is always a marginal
decision from our viewpoint whether to take a TV away with us and we
frequently chose not to bother, but my wife and I do enjoy listening to the
radio especially radio 4. Herein lies the rub. My old van has an installed
car audio system the new one does not. In finding our new van I have seen a
number with poorly i.e. messily, installed systems.
Two questions: -
1. Am I right in assuming that to get decent FM performance it is virtually
essential to have an installed system with an external aerial because of the
shielding effect of an aluminum van?
2. Does anyone know of any decent articles on neat audio installation in
caravans?

PPeter

Long wave is a must if you are a fan of radio4 and are travelling
abroad, I've
picked up R4 as far south as the mountains of Malaga (Montans de Malaga)
provided you have a long wire to connect to the aeriel and to drape
over a
convenient hedge.
We always try and head for high ground around 2PM (local t) to listen to
world
at one providing the Bl***y cricket isn't on. It really P****s me off
when the
BBC think that cricket is more important than informing Brits abroad of
the
state of the world, particularily when there is an impending war or
similar
potential crisis. The least they could do is to break into cricket for
the news
programmes.
Mot
Old November 2nd 03, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 21:33:26 +0000, in uk.rec.caravanning you wrote:

BBC think that cricket is more important than informing Brits abroad of
the state of the world, particularily when there is an impending war or
similar potential crisis.

That is what the BBC World Service is for

Old November 3rd 03, 06:47 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
klyne

--
"Abbey Spectrum" wrote in message

Yes, they give a totally objective view of the news on World Service, not
the leftie slant of R4 (JH being one of the worst)

David

In my view the World Service is useless. I want to know what is going at
home not a view of what is going on if you see what I mean. Just my opinion.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
site reports

Old November 3rd 03, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Manders

"Peter Balcombe" wrote in message
[...]

I have gone down the route of a portable radio. Most modern car radios are
digitally tuned and loose their memory and their code each time the battery
is removed or goes flat. Now this happens rarely in a car but much more
frequently in my caravan.

John

Old November 3rd 03, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Doki

"Peter Balcombe" wrote in message

2. Does anyone know of any decent articles on neat audio installation in
caravans?

Build the speakers into something that's already upholstered or make your
own box to put them in. Have a look on google for "stealth shelf"
instructions. They tell you how to install speakers into the parcel shelf of
a car without them being visible, the same techniques apply to building the
speakers into a caravan.