12S electrics

Old November 2nd 03, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tony Hayes

Default 12S electrics

Will be having a towbar fitted to my 2003 Ford Focus shortly and am a bit
wary about having the full 12S electrics because of possible problems with
the car's management system. Have decided that I will only need a feed to
supply 12 volts to the caravan when sited and will probably run a live lead
direct from the battery to the 12S plug. Is it preferable for the negative
lead to go back to the battery also? Excuse my real ignorance about these
matters, but will this configuration negate any possible problems with the
car's electrics?

Thanks
Tony
Old November 2nd 03, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ian McFarlane

"Tony Hayes" wrote in message
t...
Will be having a towbar fitted to my 2003 Ford Focus shortly and am a bit
wary about having the full 12S electrics because of possible problems with
the car's management system. Have decided that I will only need a feed to
supply 12 volts to the caravan when sited and will probably run a live

lead
direct from the battery to the 12S plug. Is it preferable for the

negative
lead to go back to the battery also? Excuse my real ignorance about these
matters, but will this configuration negate any possible problems with the
car's electrics?

Thanks
Tony

No it won't. Most problems with the car electrics will come from the 12N
connection if you tap directly in to the side lights, brake lights,
indicators etc. The way round that is to use by-pass relays on all the
connections on the 12N. The relay takes a very small current which does not
upset the car electrics and switches a main feed taken direct from the car
battery to the corresponding lights on the caravan .

For more info see

http://www.rydertowing.co.uk/towbar_...ays_TF1016.htm

or

http://www.towitall.co.uk/default.htm